Progam not compatible problem on Windows 7 (won't install)

Marky P

Novice Member
I have an old CD labelling program by HP that ran fine on my desktop PC running Windows 7. Now I have a laptop also running Windows 7, but this program won't install at all. I've tried 'running older programs' in the control panel bit but nothing happens. Any ideas? I can't find any other decent labelling software on line and I've got inlays stored on my laptop that can only be opened with HP CD Labeler. Thanks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Is the desktop Windows 7 32-bit and the Laptop Windows 7 64-bit?

If so it's likely to be that the installer is 16-bit. If that is the case then you could try copying the installed program folder over and see if that works but if it's a 16-bit program as well then there's nothing you can do short of installing Windows 7 32-bit on the laptop.

How old is the program and what is the exact error message? Hitting ctrl+c when the error message is in focus (not highlighted) will copy it's text to the clipboard. I'd expect a 16-bit installer to be pre-2000 and a 16-bit program to be pre-'97/'98.

ncmoody

Novice Member
You could use VMWare and a minimum install of XP with your labeling program
It's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a wallnut but is is a solution I have used in the past for incompatible software.
In my case it was a profram that ran under W2K but not XP.

Marky P

Novice Member
What is your software called and what are file extensions on those saved layouts?

The software is called HP CD-Labeler v2.5 for Windows 95. It ran perfectly on XP, Vista & my desktops version of Windows 7. The extensions are .CDL

Marky P

Novice Member
Is the desktop Windows 7 32-bit and the Laptop Windows 7 64-bit?

Both are 32-bit. The desktop one was a Vista upgrade package.

If so it's likely to be that the installer is 16-bit. If that is the case then you could try copying the installed program folder over and see if that works but if it's a 16-bit program as well then there's nothing you can do short of installing Windows 7 32-bit on the laptop.

How old is the program and what is the exact error message? Hitting ctrl+c when the error message is in focus (not highlighted) will copy it's text to the clipboard. I'd expect a 16-bit installer to be pre-2000 and a 16-bit program to be pre-'97/'98.

The program is from '98. When I insert the CD, It doesn't run automatically, so I click on setup.exe and get 'The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running'. The labeler software has both 16 bit and 32 bit versions and I get the same error with both versions.

SUMMONER

Hmm.. try what EndlessWaves suggested, install it on an old computer then copy the relevant folder from the Program Files to the new computer and see it it will run.

Marky P

Novice Member
It worked! Transferred the program from my desktop to my laptop and now works flawlessly. Thanks everyone :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom