1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prog scan?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by claire handford, Jan 2, 2005.

1. claire handford

claire handford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does material recorded from freeview play back at 576p and if so does it make things look better on a 42" plasma :lease:

2. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As far as I know nothing is broadcast in progressive,at least not until HDTV arrives anyway, so unless a recorder/player can upconvert or line double the picture and then output it as component video pb/pr/y then no.

3. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've never heard of progressive being a way of broadcasting - i thought it was an implementation of hardware to improve existing picture quality - correct me if I'm wrong. If your recorder has progressive scan and it is connected via component to your plasma then you should benefit from this. My Sony RDR 1000 has a facility to distinguish between a film or video source and compensate accordingly.

4. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As I said until HDTV becomes available then I don't think anything is broadcast in Progressive (eg 720p as opposed to 720i) mainly because of all the extra bandwidth/cost involved and the fact that most people don't have compatible tv's yet.
    Even when HDTV is broadcast, to begin with they will probably just be 'i' or interlaced but with much higher resolutions.

5. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    All pictures displayed on a plasma screen have to be de-interlaced before displaying and with freeview this would be usually done by the tv. A progressive scan dvd player or recorder will probably do a better job than the tv at making the signal progressive - my recorder allows me to view any input through it's de-interlacer (PQ is noticibly better with Sky as well as DVD) . I would imagine the only difference with a progressive broadcast would be that the de-interlacing would be done prior to this (along with an increased definition in the case of HDTV)