1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RustyH, Oct 3, 2004.

1. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, is progressive scan DVD player a good thing to have if using the PW6. Ive got to get a cheap DVD player as my panasonic does not have RGB output and I want to run it though PC input for the awsome picutre quality.

Should I look at getting a prgressive scan DVD player????

2. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone???

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, prog scan is a good thing, since it's you I'll say it again. All progressive plasmas, like the pW6 have built in deinterlacers, ie a chipset to make the signal progressive. Now if you go and buy a £79 cyberhome DVD player with progressive scan, it also has a deinterlacer built in. Sending progressive to the plasma automatically bypasses the internal deinterlacing. Now where do you think the best deinterlacer is to be found? In your £79 DVD or in you £2.5k plasma display? You can have 3 guesses if you like, yes! So if you want a progressive scan DVD go find a Denon 2900 or something, they're being knocked out at £575 or so due to new model. Then you'll see some serious improvements.

4. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So... [excuse the newbieness of this - I probably sound very stupid]

Is it better then to NOT have a DVD player with prog scan and thus rely on the circuitry in the PW6/7 to deinterlace?

And/or, would it be fair to say that one should really invest in a high quality DVD player with prog scan if one is going to spend £2k odd on a plasma?

This is one of the things that I have been wondering about. Sure, the Pioneer 575, say, is a well spoken of DVD player, but is it up to the job when combined with a PW6/7. I don't want to spend £2k on what is clearly a great plasma and then be let down because the DVD player (and the cables for that matter) are not up to scratch.

Thanks for supporting us newbies, gents!

Toby

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well thanks for your politeness, Toby! It's a very good idea to match your plasma with the best DVD you can afford, likewise don't skimp on cables or electronics like JS converters. Cables however need not cost a fortune, the old rule of thumb for stereo hi fi of 10% of budget need not be adhered to, maybe 5% is more like it. A 4k system needs £200 worth of carefully sourced cables, unless long video runs push that up. A 575 is about a minimum I'd consider for a plasma, I have clients who insist on less, and I ask them who the expert is, and point out I make no more on better DVD players, or at any rate not enough to warrant an argument.

6. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I certainly cant afford the £575 for a top notch dvd player, so I will have to stick with a non progressive dvd player and let (as you said) the th 2.5k plasma internal deinterlacert do the work!!!

Thank MAW, you are always helping the newbies which we all are very grateful for, cause AV system, when your a newbie, is a deep deep topic and you can get lost so easily.

Could you help me with my setting on the PW6 MAW. I.e - what color ratios, white balances, etcs to set, and the advance stuff. At the moment I just have a non RGB DVD play into it, on input 1.

Also, anyone know a link to explaining deinterlacing....just want to learn all this??

Thanks
    Cheers MAW
    Russ

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  8. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  9. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornydragon - Yes, my out put from my Panasonic is S-Video.....which is so annoying, cause the asia version of the system has the much more favourable composite connections.....why they could not put it on the europe version too i dont know :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    im sorry, i'm probably wrong but why is composite more favourable than svideo? afaik, svideo is "better" than composite....or maybe you meant Component?

11. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your support, ye Gods of AV knowledge. I echo RustyH's sentiments in that department.

And thanks for the links - a great place for us guys to start. I think I should spend a little more time in the AV Links section of the site! I knew before that prog scan was a good thing to have in a DVD player but I didn't why, or what it was. Now I've been off and read up on it, I feel thoroughly enlightened!

Thanks again
    Toby

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK guys composite BAD Component Good Scart is a Euro thing and players without scart dont get very far with normal TV owners..

13. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, yes i mean component then, the one with there phone jacks....yes.
    Can see why they didnt put that on the europe model to, would of been much better, instead I have had to settle for normal video (the yellow phone jack) into a scart converter into the scart board of my PW6....messy

14. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ...you dont say if SCART is good or bad peace:

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    scart is a cable, not a video signal and can carrry composite, S-video and RGBS which depends on source equipment and display capability :p