prog scan ..wot is it ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by khalilk, Aug 21, 2003.

1. khalilk

khalilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    howdy guys and gals

Sorry for the ignorant question but wot is it .. wot equipment does this and wot equipment needs this ?

I have a rear projection TV and am reasonably happy with the picture but if there is way to further improve the picture then wahay ! tell me about it .. if its a gadget i want it :)

Thanks .. kind regards Khalil

HAVE A NICE DAY

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Have a look at the intro to prog scan thread. All will be answered.

3. khalilk

khalilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the link are outdated ! can any one help with the questions ?

Thanks .. KK

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok the answers are:

What is it?
    Progressive scan sends video signals to the display, sequentially line by line from top to bottom as oposed to interlaced which send the odd numbered lines and then the even numbered lines.

You may have seen something similar when downloading .gif files.

What does it?
    Off board deinterlacers and scalers (eg iScan ultra/pro, Lumingen, Briteview) do this as well as a handfull of newer DVD players (eg Philips 963, Sony NS930, HK 25/30, Cambridge audio 55 and some high end Arcams, Denons and Pioneers.)

What needs it?
    Equipment that need this are displays which by design do not need interlaced. That's pretty much everything except direct view crt. (eg projectors, plasmas, LCD's, rear projectors and Toshiba TV's) Most of these displays have a basic inbuilt deinterlacer.

If you need to find out more then check the links in the sticky, as far as I can see they are not out of date.

One thing they may miss is the difference with pal progressive which uses 2:2 pulldown instead of 3:2 pull down.

There you'll learn all about frames, fields, pulldown, reverse pulldown, jaggies, shimmering, moiré, line twitter, movie mode, video mode, bob, weave, per pixel motion adaptive, and lots of other interesting stuff.

CHeers,
    Cal.

5. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27