Prog Scan TV without Component input

B

boppa

Hi,

I have just purchased a Philips 23PF8946 LCD TV. One of the reasons I bought this one is that it can (supposedly) do progressive scan, and I wanted to use this feature when playing DVDs from my Sony RDR-GX700.

I was under the impression that prog scan only works through component inputs and outputs. However, the TV does NOT have any component inputs. This has left me very confused! How can the TV display prog scan without a component input?

Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

yes i can telll you exaclty what this is........
Basically marketing bulls**t all LCD panels are progressive displays they will de-interlace all incoming video signals before displaying them.........a progscan DVD player does the de-interlacing at the palyer end and transmits the de-interlaced (proggressive signal) along a component cable to the screen....
So to get any benefit from a Prog scan DVD player teh DVD player de-interlacer has to be better than the screens internal de-interlacer...... so what has a beter de-interlacer?????? the fact the TV has no compoennt inputs means you cant compare and will have to use Interlaced video and live with it...

Thanks hornydragon, thats what I feared. Guess its my fault for not checking it had component inputs.

This is probably no help, but progressive scan can also be used via RGBHV connection. I am not aware of any DVD players that can output RGBHV, but it is the best analogue output from my video processor.

Mark.

Guessed there would be a few, but was not aware of any!

Mark.

I always thought it went Composite-->SVHS-->RGB-->Component in order of quality, now I see various people are referring to RGBHV (with sync) so is this the perferred method over Component?

AIUI, RGB and Component are pretty much indistinguishable for most purposes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom