1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog. scan questions about consoles on Toshiba 28ZD26P

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Hitcher, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Hitcher

Hitcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got myself the Toshiba 28ZD26P last week from PRCDirect (£498.35) and I am impressed with the quality of the component picture I get from my consoles - PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, but a decent progressive scan picture is what I'm really interested in.

My Xbox is chipped, so I've set the video mode to NTSC and changed the dashboard options to display a 480p picture which makes my games look even better than they did in the normal PAL mode, it's almost like looking at a monitor it's that good.

Now I'm confused as to whether this is a true prog. scan picture as I'm sure I read somewhere on here that if it was I wouldn't be able to change the picture settings from Progressive to Natural, Active or 100Hz, but I can.:confused:

However, when using my NTSC Gamecube and setting the games that allow it to prog. scan I cannot change the settings on the TV, it is fixed on Progressive.

The other thing is the fact that I can't change the picture size to 4:3 when in prog. scan mode. The only sizes available are Wide, Superlive, Cinema and Subtitle. So what's that all about?

And my biggest worry is when the picture on the Gamecube is quite bright near the top of the screen it gets distorted badly.

The only other thing that bugs me is the fact that vertical and horizontal straight lines appear to be bending slightly inwards. This is also noticable when in 4:3 mode as the edges are not straight yet they were on my old Bush 28" widescreen in 4:3 mode. I used the THX video set-up options found on some DVD's to check this.

So can these problems be fixed by a service engineer if I ask PRCDirect to send one out or are they unfixable?

Thanks in advance.

2. Hitcher

Hitcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone give me some advice, I'm going to phone PRCDirect but would like some sort of back-up to my claims?

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Toshiba's aren't brilliant for geometry. Lots of them have issues etc in this regard. Also service engineers often make it worse it seems. When he comes watch him like a hawk.

With regard progressive scan its possible the gamecube is displaying a higher resolution than the xbox. Have you tried an xbox game that has a higher resolution than 480p?

I assume your xbox games are ntsc games as pal games don't support progressive scan. Actually I think some games for the pal region do enable progressive scan but only by mistake the code has been left in as the game has not been optimised for pal.

4. Hitcher

Hitcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually all my Xbox games are PAL, but there is definitely a big difference in picture quality when I have 480p enabled in the Xbox video settings as opposed to not enabled.

An engineer is meant to be calling me soon.

Thnaks for your help.

5. szgo

szgo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get your supplier to sort the prog scan on GC, there is a fix which involves soldering a resister onto the main board of the set, got the details off of this forum

6. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PAL Xbox titles don't support prog scan. Maybe you have the Xbox set to output PAL60 which the TV probably deinterlaces.

Your NTSC GameCube of course outputs real progressive.

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You can patch the default.xbe for pal games (or any other xbes) to force progressive scan output.

Do a search for progressive scan patcher xbox on google.

This is how I get my games (loaded onto my HD) to run in progressive.

8. Hitcher

Hitcher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got anymore details I can have about this please?

Actually I've found some of them do (the code must have been left in) and the ones that didn't I've patched like BrianC.

Halo looks amazing (not that it wasn't amazing before).

I've also sorted out the geometry problems using the service menu.