1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan question and aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scollops, Jan 20, 2004.

1. scollops

scollops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure where to ask this but thought as its to do with progressive ....

Anyway hooked up the HK 2550 to My plasma (panasonic) - setup up as progressive, select a dvd PAL - screen is 16.9 with top and bottom black borders - cant alter this with aspect changer. If I put the DVD into interlaced all works fine, although the picture quality has dropped.

Question is, is this normal ?, will the black borders burn in my plasma ?

How do I get full screen progressive ?

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Black borders are a result of playing a film with an aspect ratio that isn't 16:9, eg. 2.35:1, it should make no difference whether the signal is interlaced or progressive.

Something else is going on here, maybe a setup difference on the player between interlaced and progressive modes, per se the type of signal isn't the cause.

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What is the film in question?

4. scollops

scollops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Film is attack of the clones - tried a few others similar probs, had a play around with PAL 60 settings and progressive, looks like this is helping - anyone know the best setup on HK 2550 DVD ??

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well then, it's as KraGorn said, AOTC is a 2.35:1 ratio film. Therefore if displayed correctly it will have black borders, above and below the picture equal to approx 25% of your screen (12.5% top and bottom).
    I can omly surmise that when outputting progressive scan, the output is fixed, whereas in interlaced mode it is possible to change the aspect setup in the players menu. With this menu option if you select 4:3 then you may be able to better fill the screen, but the picture will be of lower resolution and geometrically distorted.

6. salacious

salacious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know with the HDTV screens in North America that some screens automatically go into 16:9 with a progressive input and it cannot be changed. Not sure if this is your problem but it is something that I have read.