1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan Probs on Viera and 565a player

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by spidermanalf, Sep 20, 2004.

1. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Hi, got my Panasonic Viera th42pe30b and using it in conjunction with one of the Component cables from mark Grant.

I have these connected to my Pioneer 565a player, and have put that onto prog scan mode. Thing is when I do this the screen looks very nice but it seems to have slipped down the screen, and I can only see the top 3/4 of the film, and the top quater of teh screen is just black!

As you can imagine, I have been faffing for far too long and just cannot get it working!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Jonathan

2. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    anyone?

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    This seems very strange.
    are you using progressive scan on both pal and ntsc or just one of the formats? Is the viera dispalying the WIDE in the corner of the screen when progresive is activated. When reciving a progresive scan signal you should not be able to change aspect ratios as it will stay in wide mode. have you got the dvd player set to anamorphic wide mode in the user menu?
    Have you tried other discs to see if it is just a problem with a certain movie?

4. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I go in to the menu options of my DVD player, and change it to Prog scan, and the picture then changes, but moves downwards.

When I turn on prog it says AV4C in corner, when i turn it off, it just says AV4.

I will have another faff later tonight! But thanks for your response!

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    AV4c means it is on the right input. The C stands for component.
    All I can say is make sure every thing is connected corectly and try a couple of other discs. If you a watching a disc that is not anamorphic in progresive mode, the picture may look very squashed and in the wrong place. Just grasping at straws but make sure you check this. I have a Viera and do not have this picture movement problem.
    HAs your dvd player got a botton on the front to activate progressive scan. MIne is a pioneer 757ai it it will let you turn progressive on and off with out going in to the menu.

6. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Tried it last night with R2 Star Wars, and same happened, will try a R1 film tonight!

Grrrrrrrr don't know what to do! Sob! May have to upgrade DVD player, but would rather not!

7. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
  8. egilDOTnet

egilDOTnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very similar problem, although a bit more annoying (or is it??) I have a Panasonic plasma screen, and when I set my 565a to output progressive signals, that works just fine (setting my 565a to ntsc mode first for fixing output to ntsc always).

However, whenever I turn my DVD player off, there seems to happen something strange with the progressive signal from it. Although the dvd player indicates that it outputs progressive signal, when I turn it on, the TV only receives a signal causing the screen to constantly roll, as if you try to watch ntsc on pal! If I use my remote and re-enables progressive output (without disabling it first), the picture goes rock-solid again, until next time I turn it off.

Have you experienced the same thing maybe? Can someone tell me what is going on with this?