Prog scan problem on Tosh SD340

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BumJab, Feb 16, 2005.

1. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else had problems getting prog scan out of this dvd player?

When I connect it up on component (with output set to YUV in the DVD player menu) to my plasma (which won't cope with interlaced on component) I get no picture.

If I take the Y (green) lead and plug it into the composite input I get a single black and white image which implies it's putting out interlaced. You should expect to get two black and white images or some horizontal scanning if it's putting out progressive scan (480p).

Am I missing something obvious here?

Any help/pointers gratefully received..

2. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK...realised I was being bit of an idiot here, but only maybe... :)

There's a 'progressive scan' button on my DVD player. You have to press this when the player is in stop mode to enable progressive scan.

I'm sure I did this before, but that was when I was testing all the time with my R1 Finding Nemo.

This time I had another random disc in the player and it worked. When I then tried Finding Nemo I got no output at all from the DVD player on component (when it was set to prog scan).

Even connecting the Y (green) component up on composite there was no signal to be detected by my TV.

I did a lot more experimenting with discs and found some work and some don't. Doesn't seem dependant on Region or whether it's PAL or NTSC. Some even work on the copyright messages and menu, but then not on the movie itself.

Anyone got any idea why my DVD player can output some stuff on prog scan component and not others? Is the player faulty?

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Have you switched form video to yuv in the players menu.If you have already done this then it should output an interlaced signal straight away.Otherwise i am as stumpted as you.

4. Jay_esS

Jay_esS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BumJab,
    I just got a Denon DVD-2910 and it won't give me any progressive picture at all with R2 PAL discs..- Interlaced works perfectly
    Turns out the player is'nt at fault - my Toshiba 32ZD26P tv only does progressive scan in NTSC
    Check your plasma specs?

5. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've managed to get some PAL discs to work in progressive scan and some NTSC discs. I've also gotten my PAL PS2 (old model) to play games (Prince of Persia that has progressive scan option) on PAL progressive scan.

I've also managed to get some PAL discs and some NTSC discs to not work...

6. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. After changing DVD player a couple of times, I now have the Pioneer 575.

I've discovered that the problem is macrovision.

Anything that is encoded with macrovision does not play on my plasma on progressive scan.

Anyone know any way to disable macrovision for the Panny? Most of the things I can find are converter boxes that only deal with scart/s-video and I want to use component...

Failing that, anyone know any good DVD players that do prog scan on component output and have macrovision disabled?

7. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm curious to know, how you know Prog scan has kicked in on the Tosh 340? nothing seems to appear on any menu anywhere - or am I missing something :confused: :confused: :confused:

8. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Some of the remotes tv fuctions will be missing,such as scanning methods.

9. BumJab

BumJab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The front display says p-scan or something like that when you switch over to progressive if I remember rightly..