1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan on PAL via HTPC?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jenz, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my ignorance but is Progressive Scan available on R2 PAL via HTPC? as its not going through a Dedicated Player?

Spectre, Others, could you clarify? If so this would be another advantage of the HTPC?

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Hmm would imagine its easy enough to deinterlace and scale up as long as the correct field relationship was maintained. Don't know enough about the flagging and default 625/50 handling modes on given players though. Then display in multiples of 25fps at say 75Hz.

There isn't really anything stopping you though it will still be playing at 4% faster than the original material just like normal 625/50 (shifting the sound back to 24fps would be very problematic I'd imagine)

3. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no problem in having a 'PAL' progressive output from anything other than a DVD player - so doing it with an HTPC is no problem.

Equally the DVDO Iscan Pro, Faroudja 3000U and (my) S&W Interpolator Gold all can output 576P (i.e. de-interlaced PAL from R2 discs) - I'm sure there are others, but I know these definately do output 576P!

So even though many of the new progressive scan players use either the Sil503 or Sage/Faroudja chips as used in the DVDO and Faroudja's above, they have to have the PAL progressive capability disabled.

I'd be interested to know if there was a hardware link or handset hack that 'unlocked' PAL progressive on these DVD players?

Hope this helps!

Richard Ansell
    Displays Group
    Snell & Wilcox Limited

[This message has been edited by RichardA (edited 23-01-2001).]

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. Yes it does in fact help alot. HTPC is now definitely the way to go.

------------------
    Webmaster,

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    If you want to find out more about de-interlacing, then I recommend the following document: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

The section entitled "What can go wrong" is particularly enlightening (many of them are due to flags being set incorrectly on the disk).

Indeed :). Sounds like a good option for an engineering menu...

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

6. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you remember we watched some R2 titles inbetween the R1 titles - all through the projector without having to change a thing?
    All progressive scan.

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HC Dude, now I'm really embarassed. Of course we did. I think it was the euphoria of the sheer quality of your demo (or the coffee) that made me forget.

Now all I've got to do is find a VGA to Barco adapter/box/lead.

------------------
    Webmaster,

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    You should be able to use a standard HD15-5 BNC lead for this. If you have trouble then let me know and I'll get you a price.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !