Prog scan on DVD or display?

Oldi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a projector or maybe a plasma, a plasma maybe too big for TV on a day to day basis but a projector could be cheap large screen fun when neccessary, footy and movies etc.

I don't want to spend too much as it( projector) will be used now and then but I would like to know of the pro's and cons, one of which is on board prog scan versus player based.

I have Sky, Pioneer 565, Panasonic HS2 and Sony 900v, I would like to think a cheap Panny 200 will do otherwise SWMBO will go bananas!

Ged

Ultimately the choice is whether the on-board de-interlacer in the display produces acceptable results. A mid/high-end projector for example may very well contain a better de-interlacer than a low/mid range DVD player .. some reviews of pjs I've seen actually say they work better with an interlaced signal than progressive.

Therefore IMHO you need to settle on the projector/plasma then decide on the DVD player .. unless you know that the display is short-term and the player a long-term investment in which case the player wins. :)

Thanks KraGorn,
if you check out the existing kit what would you recommend ?
I don't want to break the bank or ditch good kit, I recently sold a Panny S75 which I now regret.
Ged

I have a Sony 730 DVD feeding a Z2 and I'm pretty happy with it, it'll certainly provide a good signal for a Panny 200 .. the 730 costs £149 or less, sometimes it can be bounf for around £120 I believe. A bit more up-market the Harmon Kardon DV25 or one of the 'special' variants are recommended by many people, but that's over twice the price of the 730.

So judging by your kit you feed prog scan from the player,
have you tried the variants of each ?
Ged

Originally posted by Ged
have you tried the variants of each ?

Nope :) .. the Z2's de-interlacer is pretty pitiful so it's a non-contest .. you generally need to get into the £2k+ price area before the projectors boast built-in de-scalers that could be considered adequate or better.

I've just got a HS20 that I'm feeding from the sony 730 and to be honest I'm blown away with the picture in either interlaced or prog-scan mode on the dvd. I think that sending prog-scan is better but it's not that noticeable (could just be wishful thinking).

But Wookie, the Sony is well known for having a pretty damned good IP convertor/scaler. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom