1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan Newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Skyav, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm the happy owner of a Pioneer DV565 running component out into an Optoma/Themescene H30 projector. The image is excellent overall :D , but after reading about the subtle benefits of progressive scan I thought it would be worth trying, as I believe the H30 is capable of displaying it.

I was tinkering with the initial menu set up and noticed that the component setting was on interlace - I changed it to progressive and the image of my PAL discs became jerky and the colours were different. I then tried an NTSC disc and the image was smooth - no jerkiness - but was "squashed" a little. :confused:

I understand the basic differences between PAL and NTSC sources and, to a lesser extent, progressive and interlaced signals and while I could end up messing around with my settings forever, I would love it if someone could explain to me in plain English just what the heck's going on!

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Skayav

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi, according to the specs I could find, your DVD player can only output progressive scan in NTSC mode (not PAL) which explains why you are getting jerkiness trying to project PAL progressive, hope this helps.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Try going into the DVD players setup menu to turn progressive scan output on and off (I'm sure the 565 does PAL and NTSC progressive). The option in the projector is probably forcing 3:2 pulldown which will ruin a PAL signal but is right for an NTSC signal. A projector is always displaying in progressive scan format, the question is whether the DVD player is using its internal decoder to convert to progressive scan, or whether it is sending interlaced and the projector is doing the conversion. In some cases there is very little difference since the display and DVD player will use very similar chips, although the DVD has an automatic advantage of being able to deinterlace whilst the data is still in digital format from the disc.