Prog scan mode on DVC camcorders?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr.D, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I'm assuming this mode basically captures at 25 frames per second instead of 50 fields per second?

That way when you deinterlace you end up with coherent frames rather than two mismatched fields? Similar to video footage thats originated off of film (ie no disparate fields).

I'm looking into helping someone composite some material off DVC. Whilst I can deal with interlaced material OK a better bet would be to work on real frames.

Are there any downsides to shooting in the prog mode: ie how strobey do pans get? (can't imagine its any more problematic than shooting film anyway)

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Haven't tried a PS DVC yet but my camcorder (no PS) makes terrible stills though films look excellent!

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

3. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Similar effect as shooting with film but with slightly less distortion on pans and tilts. But the temporal resolution is exactly half that of the interlaced mode.

The results will have more judder and blur than with the interlaced mode and may be problematic if the intention is to display the output on a 100Hz TV. The client may actually prefer the prog mode as it will resemble film more, especially after a bit of manipulation of the picture, post production. Many people associate the video look with cheap production standards so the artifacts of prog mode may be preferable.