Prog Scan Input Limitations

H

Hopkins

After a bit of fiddling and reading, it seems that the Toshiba 36ZP46/8 TVs can only accept a progressive scan signal on one specific input, which is the coaxial Y,Pb,Pr.

Unfortunately, this means that the "RGB" format output of a PS2 cannot be sent to the TV in progressive scan mode, which is a shame.

Is this common with other TVs?

yes its only way to get progressive scan on crt screens plus its a bit flickery with 50 hz sources but ok with 60 hz, u could use the onbord progressive but thats a bit jerky

But the PS2 can output via component if you buy the replacement leads and some games do support prog scan

On the above site you can buy a PS2 cable version which has 3x component leads, 1 Digital Toslink and 2 RCA plug outputs.
That may well be what you require.
Though I thought the PS2 was RGB output only? I may well be wrong as I never read of it and I cant see how rgb becomes component just by connecting it to the component inputs but they sell the cables!

The also sell toslink/component/scart etc splitters too as I never seen tv with more than 1 component input.

Hope this helps.

I own a U.K PS2 (the silver model that was released last year). I've looked into it, & I don't think any U.K PAL games are progressive scan. Sure you can hook up the aforementioned component cable, but it'll still be an interlaced picture (I bought that one the last post mentioned from tvcables.co.uk)

If you read the PS2 manual, it states that the only source that your console will output in prog scan is NTSC DVDs (not games). When you consider that this machine isn't a region-free DVD player, one has to ask WTF?

Without progressive scan, there is virtually no noticeable difference in picture quality between a component signal & an RGB signal.

I've decided to ditch my current setup, and connect the PS2 back to an old-school telly via the official RGB cable. Non progressive-scan games consoles' picture outputs look poor on modern digital TVs (with the exception of a few games).

btw, I made the assumption you own a U.K PS2, an American PS2 with games like Gran Turismo 4 are apparently compatible in progressive scan high-def resolutions.

Component is the native recording format on all dvd`s. So component equiped dvd players/tv`s so thats whycomponent/progressive should provide the best picture quality.

As far as I know the PS2, like other RGB outputs have a circuit to handle component to rgb. But im no expert.

I only have about 5 games for my (aka the missus) PS2 and I know at least a couple of them do have the option of progressive scan - all have been bought from Game in the UK so it certainly is an option. With my TV there is certainly an improvement in picture quality but then again my TV is known to be particularly strong with component/ prog scan pictures compared to rgb

I used to have an old Ps2 hooked up to my strada Tosh which accepts NTSC prog scan only. I first used the official sony £15 component cables which I found to be poor in quality, esp when compared to the official Hi-def pack on the Xbox.

anyway, I ditched those Sony ones and went for the Ixos component cables and was impressed straight away. They're a marked improvement over the Sony ones and much better than the best RGB scarts for the PS2, absolutley NO colourbleed and very crisp/sharp. They bloody well better be for £40, I think you can get them cheaper now anyway!

I was so impressed that I bought the Ixos components for the Xbox too. I;ve tried quite a few 480p games on the PS2 and whilst they're nicer than interlaced Ps2 prog scan isnt as nice looking as Xbox prog scan IMO. This is both using Ixos component cables on my Tosh out putting 480p. Standout games in terms of prog scan were Tekken 5 and Burnout 2/3 on the Ps2 from what I can remember. Not all games on PS2 have Prog scan whilst 95% Xbox do.

*edit*

I just remembered that I forgot the GC for which I have the official Nintendo component cables which are on par with the Ixos IMO. they look SO basic but are such an improvement over the RGB. I've heard this is becasue it uses the digital out and converts to analogue, either way GC games running 480p are the best out of the 3 IMO. Beautiful, bright vibrant colours moving so smoothly. Even Pal games in non progressive mode look **** all over the PS2 what what I;ve seen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom