1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan DVD with PW7 or not?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by David, Nov 17, 2004.

1. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my new PW7 and am thinking of upgrading my Toshiba SD100E DVD player and was considering the Panny E55 recorder. I just wanted to check something I (thought) I read in a thread on this forum recently. I think it was MAW who implied that it was better for the panel to do the conversion to progressive scan than the DVD player (better processing I think). Have I got this right and if so does this mean a non PS player would be better?

2. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a pw6b and the pictures i get from my arcam dv89 prog scan are slighty better than the picture i got with the dv88 which was non progresive, not sure if the pw7 has a differant prog scan feature

3. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. Still not sure what MAW meant though.

4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Like you say - he probably means "if you buy a cheaper DVD player then it's not likely to have a better 'interlaced to prog' convertor than the plasma panel itself.

Whether this is true or not I'm not sure. I've the same thought process with my xbox - is it worth enabling high def/prog scan and sent 480p pictures to the plasma, or will the plasma do a better job of "de-interlacing" the picture iself?

ZedZed

5. jasonl

jasonl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if you're talking about hidef games etc, then you might need a US xbox & games (or if you're xbox is chipped, you need US games), then its really worth it

but if you're thinking about using your xbox as your progressive-scan dvd player by enabling hidef on it, then its no better than the cheap progscan dvd players and just let the panel scale them for you

@david: i think what MAW and ZEDZED is trying to say is that unless you're getting TOP NOTCH (or high quality-decent prized) progscan dvd players, then just save your money and let the panel do the de-interlacing

hope this is of any help

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Spot on, but that's a very basic DVD there, could be much improved on for not much money. Denon, H-K, Onkyo, Pioneer all make very good players that can be had for + or - £200, they would all be a big step up from the tosh, but I wouldn't swear that any will be definitively better on prog scan than not. I can tell you the E55 is not going to set the world alight with prog scan. A recordable with all those features at that price, something's got to give. I don't mean to knock the E55 hard, it's just a bit much to expect prog scan brilliance as well as everthing else.

7. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Maw and co. Sorry for repeat question and perhaps in wrong place - but does the same apply in terms of Samsung's HD945 prospects in your eyes. i.e. you are better off getting a semi-decent £200 prog scan player for a PW7 than a budget £150 HDMI player (implying that at that price the implemented HDMI feed can't be that good). If I'm talking tosh then fine but I just want to know whether to go for a Prog board or a HDMI board for my shiny new PW7 as the next step up from my budget RGB scart only DVD player.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Best to pay more for an HDMI player than the input board I think. They are pretty pricey, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 2910 denon myself, just not economic.

9. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    You mean to say a £150 player can't do a £1.7k screen justice? Did you say it with such disdain :) I was just hopeful and foolish for a bargain.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I mean to say the input board is £150! To pay the same for a player is er, short sighted, I feel.

11. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks thats really helpful. MAW you mentioned Denon, H-K, Onkyo, Pioneer players at + or - £200. You wouldn't like to expand on that would you (models wise)? I've asked this question twice on the DVD forum now and had no answer. Good to know that they really would be a noticable improvement on the Toshiba SD100E too.
    Thanks

12. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Maw has kindly recommended the Onkyo 502 via a PM -
    Not many stockists in UK. I found one in Chester but aint got the price yet.
    Is this easy to mod to a MR player?

13. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Banjo21

I am also interested in the Onkyo 502 - did you say you've got a price for this? On Onkyo's website it lists loads of dealers all over the country, mainly House of Fraser and JL, but no etailers it seems??

Maw: do you think its better than the 575 when it has same DAC frequency and bit rate (108 & 12)?

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The build quality is much better than the pioneer, and though it likely shares a couple of chips with the Pioneer, the end result is going to be better. I spent some time this PM with a member and a PHD7, a 402 player, some Gallos and a 602 amp. The 402 was very very good for what is essentially a budget player, and picture and sound wise, I'd put it on a par with the Pioneer. The 502 is uprated everywhere. I'm overall very pleased with our Onkyo stuff, it's going to be a winner.

15. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I assume this shortlist, even at approx £200 each still produce significantly better pictures and sound than most DVD recorders (E55 etc)? It's just that if I have to buy a new machine.....

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, even the 402 onkyo at £178 offers a big step up. Onkyo do not support e-tailing, they prefer the 'buy from the dealer that sold it to you' approach, rather than the 'take up the time of a helpless sucker of a retailer, who spends time and effort, yes and money too, to help you make the right product choice, then go and trawl the internet for the lowest possible price, place an order, be mucked around cos the have no stock, be sent a damaged box and send it back' approach. Margins on Onkyo are not particularly high, and as they have no massive organisation in UK to support, 4 people in fact, they are pretty streamlined and are able to offer bucket loads of gear for the cash. Effectively they are 'pre discounted' to compete with the likes of Denon, Pioneer etc.