1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan DVD Player (PAL & NTSC)??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'm looking for a progressive scan DVD player that will outpur PS for both NTSC AND PAL. Can anybody advise if there are any such players available in the UK. I am aware if HiVi Zone but would prefer to buy from UK and preferably not the £1000 or so of players like the Aracam DV88.

Alternatively, if anyone has one for sale maybe you could let me know. Thanks.

Neil

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just buy it from HiVizone they are ok. Got my player in just over a week, about 550 quid including customs charges. I know there have been several adverse comments about them and I was concerned from the moment I ordered it. Others have also received their orders within a couple of weeks. Have a look at the Hivizone thread in the DVD forum. Its a great machine, go on order one you know you want to.;)

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, I've just completed a deal on a Tosh SD900E multi-region. Why did I go for this one? Several reasons.

1. It's a full UK machine with a UK warranty
    2. It's get great write ups and reviews
    3. My TW100 pj has a Faroudja PS chip in it so the fact it is only NTSC PS I hope will not worry me.

To be honest I was wondering whether I shouldn't have gone for a Tosh 220 and an iScan Pro but I'll give the 900E a chance. From all I've read I think (hope :) ) I'm gonna be blown away by it. I'll know tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Dont think you will be dissapointed with your choice, I did consider one myself (as you can get them for around 600 quid), beautiful build quality. The lure of prog scan on PAL (all of my discs are region 2 ) and a slightly lower price sealed the deal. By the way the HK machine has Philips world wide guarantee, so no probs if warranty work is needed. Also you only get 12 months anyway, if it works first time they usually work for ever. Good luck with your set up

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Debenhams still do the PS Lecson for £199, AFAIK.

Mike.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yeah they do. I bought one last weekend and unfortunately it was c**p, absolute c**p. I took it back yesterday and got a refund.

Why? My pj would not lock onto the signal. It occasionally said wrong region for R1 discs and when it did display a picture it was no better (in fact I think slightly worse) than my S7700 on S-Vid. Oh, and the menus were a nightmare (as was the instruction book - good for thr bin only) and when I plugged it into the kitchen TV (Will not output via component until you set it in the menus and as my main setup only has component I was unable to access the menus) it buggered up all the normal terrestrial channels by superimposing the AV1 signal over the top (no probs with other kit).

All in all I absolutely cannot recommend this piece of kit and do not think it worth £50 let alone £199.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hmmm, it's the lure of PS on PAL that may mean I out this one sooner than expected and get one of the new tranch of PS PAL players due around October time. I ordered a Denon 2800 MkII but the retailer put me off it saying the firmware was being updated in a few weeks and he did not want to supply it to me until then. Oh well, his loss :confused: Also, the concerns over the 2800 put me off a tad as it seems hit and miss as to whether you will get a good one or not.

Anyway, reckon I could sell this one on in a month or two for £450 if needs be and get one with true PAL PS. We'll see.

8. crawler

crawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can find a nintaus dvd player here www.grobi.tv in germany for 400 euros, but you have to be aware it has a little bug that can be solved by changing the dvd drive
    cheers
    fred

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Is the Philips 962SA what you (and I) are looking for? It apparantly supports both PAL an dNTSC progressive.

Not sure about whether its true PAL PS, or whether it converts from PAL to NTSC and then outputs it.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, the 962 is the one. I bought one about a week ago and it is superb. I now use the Tosh 900 with the plasma (as it can do NTSC PS only) and the 962 in another room with the pj.

:D

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good.

That's bad, very, very bad.

I had the Nintaus.

Anyone thinking about buying it - DON'T.

Sold it for what it cost me, now exclusively running HTPC.