1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog Scan & console gaming: quick question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Willy, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm getting a Toshiba Strata TV, and I currently have a PAL Xbox which I will get chipped. The question I have is as follows: Does each game have to be individually prog scan compatible? Or does the prog scan compatible TV & Xbox mean that all games will benefit from the technology?

Thanks.

Oh, PS: If my Xbox is set up for prog scan, will DVD's playing through it make use of the technology aswell?

Thanks again!

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    the games have to have prog scan coded into the them but so far I have only found one Xbox game that isn;t progressive (US) and that was 007 Agent Under Fire. Also, chipping an Xbox doesn;t give progressive DVD although you can get a hack for the bios that will allow progressive scan playback.:)
    Also, once chipped you'll need a videomode disk to allow you to change Xbox from PAL to NTSC to allow the progressive options to come up in the Xbox menu once you've connected a hi-def kit.

3. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hassle you on this, but I have a couple of quick questions:

1) "you can get a hack for the bios that will allow progressive scan playback". Err, is that easy to do? Where do I find out more about this sort of thing?

2) "once chipped you'll need a videomode disk to allow you to change Xbox from PAL to NTSC to allow the progressive options to come up in the Xbox menu once you've connected a hi-def kit". Again, is this easy to do? And where do I go for more info? I really do know nothing about this sort of thing, and find it all pretty confusing!

Thanks very much...

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    I dont know the ins and outs of the progressive dvd hack I;m afraid (only that it is out there in the underworld. The vdeomode disc can be found if you search hard enough and is easy to use. Obviously this can only be used once your machine is chipped.:)

5. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks!

6. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another question: If I run my unchipped UK Xbox through a de-interlacer would I run into timing problems with the joysticks?

I am thinking of using the video inputs of my Tag MacLaren AVR32FLR and de-interlace using the 192 option...Just kidding, it will be more likely using a device like:

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/csc-1200t.htm

Which is only £199....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    no you wouldnt, well shouldnt , unless there is some serious delay in that unit.

but you would be far better chipping the machine and setting it to US mode to get true progressive.

All you will get by running it through that is pixels that are stretched, where you could be getting glorious 720p and higher ;)

8. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    The only prob with chiping is that u will not be able to sign up to XBox Live

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    you can sign up, just put somthing like an Xecuter-II in it and fit a switch, so you can turn it off when you go online, and dont forget to turn it off ;)