1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prog scan component scam!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GuitarGray, Feb 11, 2003.

1. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a panny 42 plasma that was conected composite. then got a new dvd player (limit9900 prog scan) plus 3 75ohm coax leads to link its component ous to panny component in , turned player to progresive the menus had no wobble but that was the only difference, . progresive was better than interlased but component interlased was no different than composite,,, so i recon its a scam to make ppl buy more stuff they dont need ,and pple that have alredy paid out the big bucks have to say its better or they have to convince themselves its better.
    ok if you got all the kit anyway thats fine but someone like me who thinks they are upgrading are kidding themselves ..
    my old all in 1 dvd,amp speakers were great but i was told an upgrade would be wonderfull , so i got the limit dvd and cables only to find i now need an amp to get 5.1 . thats more cash i have to find the pic didnt improve so hao can i know if the sound will improve if i get a new amp,. i know i can spend loads and get 6.1 pro2 es ex and all that stuff but if i went for a basic dts dd amp im thinking the sound would not be much improved and it will have coat me 400 or so to "upgrade" ok iv ranted enough now
    just seems to me im wasting my tme trying to improve what i had with the budget i was on maybe spend a few grand and in notice the improvemant but....
    thanks for reading any comments welcomed
    Graeme

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got a TV with component input (interlaced) and it's a vast improvement over composite, the difference over S-Video is however small though still visible.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I always advocate trying to view something before purchase so as to avoid just such comments. Obviously this can't happen all the time so here 's a few discs that night show up what improvements you have gained.

It should be noted though that you speak of "progressive scan" like all DVD players or devices with this feature are somehow equal and that all you need are these magic words to get a better image. This is not the case. Some pregressive devices might actually be WORSE than the circuit inside the plasma that does the saem job.

Here are a few discs which, although not hard to de-interlace, should show difference between composite interlaced and component progressive. Use Region2 discs for best results in this case.

Star Trek Insurrection. Opening scene immediately after credits. The bales of hay will have little flecksof rainbows all over them and it will be hard to actually make out individual strands of hay using composite. With component there hay will look solid and shoul dbe much more detailed. Immediately after this bit the camera pans across a village. Look at the canoes on the stilts at side of river and you'll see twittering lines between them, same on the diagonal roofs of the buildings near end of pan. Also look at the tiled roofs of the pergolas's. They will have nasty moire patterns with composite and no artifacts, or very few, with component.

In fact, try and get hold if this to see what I mean. If you don't have it do you have Gladiator or Titanic? I can point out some really obvious bits inthose too. If you can't see any difference with this piece on your DVD and Plasma then you bought a really really poor DVD player, or it's not configured properly

Gordon

4. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I propose to start a collection for the poor guys living on a tight budget and bought a plasma for 3.000+

:devil:

5. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gordon
    If you could use scenes in Titanic to explain the issue, like you did with Insurrection, I'd be most grateful... i.e. I'm too cheap to go buy a ST film.

Thanks

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment about progressive because I haven't got it yet.

However on the sound side, I have. If you've got a cheap all in one system- a moderate atlay (say £800 for speakers, £500 for subwoofer, £500 for AV amp) will blow your old system away.

If you can afford Plasma, then you can afford a 5.1 system.

7. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scene in Titanic is where the boat comes out of the water, meaning where it is laying on the bottom, with the old lady talking about it, you see it move from "old and rotten" on the bottom of the ocean to new state, i.e. back in time. Have a look at the railings of the boat.

Without "correction", they are very shaky, with it, they are straight lines. The same with the cables to the top of the mast.

Regards,

VPR

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Titanic is an interesting one as well because its letterboxed so there's less resolution in the image for the scaling chips to work with. The scene I like to use is the CG flypast scene. I think it's just after the ship is on its journey.

The camera starts far out at sea in front of the ship and flies in towards prow then round left side (as looking from front of ship). Area's to look at are railings on side of ship and the wooden decking around the elvel where the captain and other CG shipmate walk around. You should see lots of jaggies with a poor prog scan device and less with a decent one.

Cheers,

Gordon

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Please please not again, we can't take it any more..:zonked:

All PS is not the same and I for once much prefer interlaced to many of the bargain basement PS solutions. Top PS is yummy though. 2 years ago there were two solutions of quality, nowdays there are many more however and many of them make a very decent stab at PS. Do bar in mind however that all plasmas / panel projectors have deinterlacing in them already and this 'might' be better than the DVD PS solution, certainly in cheaper players. All you will be comparing is one less AD conversion stage (PRETTY GOOD ANYWAY) and the various PS chip solutions. You will be view PS on your plasma whether you input PS or interlaced!

10. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    When I first got my DV88+ home I must admit I was a little dissapointed having just spent 1k on a DVD player as I didn't think the picture was that much better than my old player.

However, after using the DV88+ for about 2 months I went to want a DVD on my old player and the difference was staggering. The detail, colours and sharpness of the DV88+ was so, so much better - I couldn't watch the film on the old player...

Personally I have not regrets in buying the DV88+.

So, what am I saying... Personally I have found that you don't appreciate what a difference an upgrade can make until you've lived with it for a while and then gone back to the old system. I have found the same thing with interconnects and speaker cables - you change them and think "yeah that's a bit better", but change them back after a month and see if you can then notice the difference - I bet you can!

Rob.

11. GuitarGray

GuitarGray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks rob and gordon
    i do have titanic and gladiatir
    as to "if you can aford a plasma you can afford a decent 5.1 system" thats BS, i had saved 5000 over 10 years thats all i have its gone now. i have 638 left to my name . and spending 2000 on a 5,1 system just cant possably happen .
    as i how own this prog scan limit dvd that needs an amp im going to haver to get 1 but i cant spend over 400 on it
    i did say i saw a difference between prog scan and all other modes. but i saw hardly any if any at all between the other modes component composite ans s-vid
    maybe the rob sujestion is what will happen , maybe im expecting larger changes and getting suttle ones
    thanks anyways folks
    glad u understand and not just flame me :)
    Graeme