1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prog S DVD with Plasma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lydecker, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pannasonic Series 6 plasma, and am looking to get a cheep and chearful DVD that I can hook up to it. The Sony DVPNS305 seem to be cheep with excellent picture quality and component (YUV) output so I can easily hook it up to my plasma.

The only thing is that the DVPNS305 does not have Progressive Scan (obviously as it is a low end range model) - will this provide any obvious hinderence with my plasma quality?

Thanks!

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got a expensive decent display that requires a good source. Why buy a cheap 'n' nasty DVD player?

DVD players are not all the same- different MPEG decoders. And the same goes into the de-interlacer chipsets too.

For the cost of your display, I would consider at least £400 DVD player, probably more- maybe upto £800. IMO worth it.

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The de-interlacer in the Panny 6 is fairly good. Probably better than you'd get in a cheap DVD player.

Cheers,
    Liam

4. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, fair enough - but what about the whole PS issue with this plasma..

Many thanks

5. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry the reason for the Cheep DVD player is because it will only be for one/two years life. I am away for the next 2 years - the plasma comes with me, my current DVD dosent, so I need a sub for 2 years ;)

Thanks

6. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what does this mean? Yeay or nehy with a cheep player without PS?

THanks

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The deinterlacing (i.e. Progressive Scan) of a signal can happen in one of two places - the DVD player or the plasma device. The Panny 6 has a pretty good de-interlacer, therefore to get a better picture you would need to buy a DVD player with a better de-interlacer (probably in the price range Nathan suggests). A cheap PS DVD player would probably have worse deinterlacing than the plasma.

So, if you only want a cheap player for the moment, go for a non-PS one. The Toshibas have a good reputation for picture quality and can be picked up very cheaply from RS.

Cheers,
    Liam

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can pick up a Toshiba SD530 that has both PAL and NTSC Progressive Scan for around 200 quid. Not much point in skimping when decent players can be had for that sort of money.

Try www.leconcepts.com

9. Lydecker

Lydecker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - in the end I think I will go for the SOny 930 - prob worth shelling £230 for a few years decent DVD quality!

10. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would also check the sony 730 as it has the same PQ

11. candg

candg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Cambridge Audio DVD 57 from Richer Sounds....it is Prog Scan on PAL and NTSC. This is one of 6 DVD players I have and I am very impressed with the Prog Scan image on the Panny...I would recommend this as a cheap and cheerful way to try out prog scan. I think it was about £200

Graham