"Profondo Rosso" gets a naff R2 release!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 8, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi All,

Well, after 11 months of set-backs, Dario Argento's acclaimed horror thriller "Deep Red" (or "Profondo Rosso"), was released today, to R2 users.

And boy, is it a lousy release, from what I've seen! :D

Firstly, the R2 version only has:
    - a non-anamorphic widescreen print
    - stereo soundtrack
    - dubbed english audio
    - it's not the longer Director's Cut
    - it's been cut
    - has a really naff cover image
    - a Picture Gallery
    - a trailer

In comparison to the Anchor Bay edition, which has:
    - Anamorphic widescreen print
    - DD 5.1 Italian soundtrack
    - DD Surround Italian soundtrack
    - DD 5.1 English soundtrack
    - DD Suround English soundtrack
    - Fully uncut
    - loads of extras
    - the longer Director's Cut (with extra footage subtitled in English, where need be)
    - a reasoanble cover image.

Ummm, does anyone else wonder why R2 companies even bother buying the rights to these films, if they're going to con R2 owners with p*ss-poor DVD's like this?!

Pooch

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,779
    I'd heard it was in Italian subtitled from Dark Dreams, the Argento fan site (sister site to Splatterhouse), which personally I think is a bad mistake on the part of the releasing company anyway as all the leads spoke English during filming and it was actually dubbed into Italian for it's Italian release. Argento always shoots in English, although admittedly there's never any production sound used, all the dialogue and effects are looped in post production. Technically though, an English soundtrack would be correct. All you need to do is watch the lips of virtually everyone if you're watching the film in Italian and it starts to resemble an old school kung fu movie.

As for the cut, I don't suppose the BBFC are too keen on little kids swewering lizards with hat pins.

I also understand the ratio's wrong (2:1 instead of 2.35:1) but it's anamorphic.