Profile advice needed - 1.1 or 2.0?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jeff B, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I am looking to buy my first blu-ray player, to go with my new HD TV. I want to buy a multi-region one, but I need some advice on profiles from the experts.

Ideally I would prefer to buy a Pioneer, but my budget does not stretch to one with a 2.0 profile at present. I can afford a BDP-51FD with 1.1 - or get a 2.0 player from Panasonic, such as these models:

DMP-BD80EB-K;
    DMP-BD70;
    DMP-BD60EB-K.

I just want to watch movies really, and occasionally a commentary, so do I really need 2.0? I have read what each profile does online, but don't really know what this "downloadable content" you are supposed to get really is; so far all I have read is trailers and access to youtube - both of which I can do without.

Is there any reason why a 1.1 player would be incompatible with movie discs in the future? Can I do without 2.0 or will I wish had bought a 2.0?

I would appreciate any advice on the profile, or which of the above models to buy.

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,940
    Not just for that no :) 1.1 will do the job just fine. (just no BD Live that's all)
    Cheers.

3. Jeff B

Jeff B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Okay thanks! :thumbsup: So there's no reason I would be unable to play any future releases if I stuck with a 1.1?

4. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,940
    No reason :smashin: will play all discs.

5. Jeff B

Jeff B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Brilliant! Thank you very much, kingfats. I really appreciate the advice, as I'm new to all this HD stuff. :D