1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proficient Audio Speakers and Surround Sound?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Evil Wizard, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Evil Wizard

Evil Wizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out with some questions. I am having a house built and the contractor offers a built in surround sound package (either an in-wall or in-ceiling 5.1 or 7.1 package). I want to go with this because 1. It is built into the wall or ceiling which is visually appealing and 2. The cost is rolled into the loan. I guess the major question I have is whether the speakers they will be using are good quality. The brand is Proficient Audio and the set up for the in-wall 7.1 option would be 7 6.5" In-Wall Speakers with 1" pivoting aluminum dome tweeter and 1 Floor Standing 8" Powered Subwoofer Speaker (and of course the cabling and face plate and what not). The cost is pretty decent IMO for $2200 but I cant seem to find any decent customer reviews of Proficient Audio speakers and that worries me. I am also unsure if I really will notice a difference between 7.1 and 5.1 as well (5.1 is only $225 cheaper so I figure its worth the extra bucks to just get 7.1). If anyone can offer some insight on the speakers' quality or general advice on maybe going another direction for surround sound it would be extremely appreciated. Thanks. --EW

2. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had a demo of a built in surround system today at my local AV store and whilst it was good for movies normal audio was only ok this had ceiling mounted surrounds and wall mounted fronts and center I couldnt see the make but surely if your builder is offering the chance to install the system can you not dictate the speakers they use? I've just moved to 7.1 and on DTS Ex and DD Ex it's well worth it IMHO on normal 5.1 sources I'm not certain it's worth it but at least if you go 7.1 you are future proofing to a certain degree.

I found an American site selling the speakers and whilst it may be unfair to judge by price alone I would say that as the most expensive speaker they have from the range is only $205. I would hardly call them high end kit which may explain the lack of reviews.

So go for the built in kit but see if you can get a more werll know make of speaker also insis on having a look at the wire they intend to install.