• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Professtional tv calabration

kevmiller

Established Member
ok i know this may sound a silly question but do any of you know if anywhere in the uk there is a company that does professtioanl tv calabration. If so have any of you used them. I know in the states its common practice however can seem to get to much information for the uk

ijd

Established Member
trying to work out what is silly about your question? this is something a lot of AV enthusiasts invest in, after spending all that hard earnt on a set, surely it is most sensible to have it calibrated to look its best,
the person you need is Gordon @ Convergent AV . i am sure he will be along soon

kevmiller

Established Member
thanks for that reply reason why i thought it was silly is i asked the question at the sony centre where i got my tv from and they said they had never heard of such as service and that it was not needed as the tv is calerbrated already out of the box:eek: i have done my own via the DVE disk but want it prfesstionally done

ijd

Established Member
This is typical of the salesmen in most high street retail shops,
they are rarely true enthusiasts and whilst they know how to push the box with the most profit, they actually know very little about what they sell, the majority of their customers also put themselves at the mercy of the sales staff, that is why this forum is so important, the general public are happy to be bamboozled into a blind sale, feeling safe in the knowledge they trusted a complete stranger who managed to baffle them with sales jargon, with glee they take home and open there box of tricks and watch it,
sometimes they these sales guys leave themselves open, and people like you expose them , game on, i love tying up sales staff in these retail outlets.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Dont waste your money! You have the same adjustments available to you as a so called "professional" has. So it may take time but keeping a detailed record of what you changed and what the result is, vary settings until you get a picture that is what YOU want.

This professional calibration service scenario IMHO has parallels in the "Digital Aerial" scam.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
This professional calibration service scenario IMHO has parallels in the "Digital Aerial" scam.
Here we go again... :rolleyes:

A professional calibrator will have equipment that can measure every aspect of the picture output of your panel. This will include white balance, primary and secondary colour hue, saturation and luminance. Gamma, black level and white level. With that information, the calibrator can make subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) changes using the TV's settings menu to get a picture that is baselined against a recognised video standard.
You would not be able to achieve these baseline standards by using a calibration disk and your eyes alone.

If you are willing to pay the modest fee, an ISF calibration is a very worthwhile investment in your viewing pleasure.

Our conspiracy theorist above is of course correct in stating that you can make changes yourself and you do have the full compliment of adjustments available to you. However, if you want to see the film or TV broadcast as it was intended getting your TV calibrated is the best way of doing this.

Althernatively, You could buy some fairly inexpensive kit, download some software and do some reading (a lot of). Then you could have a go yourself, as many users on here, including myself, do.

Paul

ttreaders

Established Member
Which software is worth using to calibrate your tv? Is there any downloadable program or dvd disc you can buy?

thanks for that reply reason why i thought it was silly is i asked the question at the sony centre where i got my tv from and they said they had never heard of such as service and that it was not needed as the tv is calerbrated already out of the box:eek: i have done my own via the DVE disk but want it prfesstionally done

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read :D

Which software is worth using to calibrate your tv? Is there any downloadable program or dvd disc you can buy?
You can do some basic calibration yourself with a disc like that, but if you get a professional to come out and do it for you, they'll go much further than that, and they'll do it with very accurate equipment (which doesn't come cheap).

I know Gordon at Convergent AV does calibration (link) and there are others on the forums.

Dont waste your money! You have the same adjustments available to you as a so called "professional" has
Actually, a lot of TVs have the Greyscale calibration features hidden from users. A professional will enter the service menu and use their tools to adjust the image. That's something you really can't do with your eyes alone.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
It depends on how you want to do it really.

By that I mean if you want to do it by eye or with some specific equipment in mind.

You can get the Digital Video Essentials disks, GetGray disks and Avia disks online. These all allow you to calibrate the TV, to a certain degree, just using your eyes.

Other software such as CalMAN and ColorHCFR allow you to use a colorimeter or spectrophotometer, along with a set of test patterns, to callibrate your TV more accurately.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom