Professor T (UK version)

Garrett

Starting on ITV shortly apparently was a Belgian detective series but now a UK version with Ben Miller in the title role.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Anyone see this last night and had you seen the original Belgian version?
What did you think?
Personally whoever decided to do a remake needs their head examined particularly after seeing the result shown las night.
For me it just did not work.
I felt the same way with Channel 4'd recent remake of the Swedish Before We Die which after one episode decided it was not for me.

Garrett

I just found standard UK run of the mill police detective story, and the quirk of Professor T reminded me of a cross between Monk and Niles Crane.
And knew on the paper she was dead or it was a blank rather than up and able to give evidence.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The ITV version is a poor facsimile of the Belgian original, which was absolutely brilliant. The first episode started badly but got a little better as the episode unfolded. Not 100% convinced, but I’ll try one more episode.

niceguy1966

I was totally underwhelmed by the plot.

1) Student is attacked
2) Student remembers tattoo
3) Suspect with tattoo arrested

Ben should have stuck with Death in Paradise, much better stories!

lostinspace

I recorded this but haven't watched it yet, nor did I see a Belgian version.

Is it one story a week or one per series? That will determine whether I wait until I have all episodes or dip in each week.

niceguy1966

Is it one story a week or one per series? That will determine whether I wait until I have all episodes or dip in each week.
Having only watched the first episode, I'd say it was a "one story per week" series, with some longer story arcs for character development.

encaser

I had these on in the background and that's all it's worth.
I like Miller but it's hardly a stretch here, playing the usual socially inept sharp tongued defective genius of sorts.
You know where it's all going and the criminals pretty much just sit there, don't bother with legal representation and all but say, Fair cop guv.

encaser

I just found standard UK run of the mill police detective story, and the quirk of Professor T reminded me of a cross between Monk and Niles Crane.
And knew on the paper she was dead or it was a blank rather than up and able to give evidence.
At least those two were generally funny.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member

Try the Belgian version first on All4. The UK re-work is not a patch on the original series, all three of them. I’m only really watching to see how it compares to the original. Based on the first UK episode, it’s devoid of any of the qualities that made the Belgian version a must see.

niceguy1966

The second episode had a slightly more interesting plot, but it's still not exactly Morse (or even Death in Paradise).

DarkDogZA

I did want to say that based on the recommendations above, I have tried the Belgian version and it is quite a pleasant watch if you want something light.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes, that’s the big difference. It’s easy to become invested in the characters in the Belgian series. By comparison, the UK version seems wooden.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom