Professor Brian Cox

Dave

Distinguished Member
Following on from a random off shoot in the Kim Jong Il thread, what are your thoughts on Brian Cox?

simon ess

Fantastic communicator of complex subjects. An inspiration to young people with, or without, an interest in science.

A defender of science funding and staunch critic of myth and pseudo-science.

Other than that, a puffy lipped knob apparently :rolleyes:

pandemic

Anyone who makes the effort to engage the public on topics of Science, is good in my books.
I was rather amused when he took the p*** out of Astrology :)

Phil57

We have a AVF member that has a father that is more knowledgeable!! :rolleyes:

Dave

Distinguished Member
Random deviation, guys, I just didn't want to start a separate thread about the little puffy-lipped scrote, he's not worth it.

And my Dad is a Doctor of Science, he knows a TON about the subject.

Why is he a puffy lipped scrote?

He's done more for physics than a lot of theories.:confused:

John

Am sat watching him from last night on iplayer.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Why is he a puffy lipped scrote?

He's done more for physics than a lot of theories.:confused:

Maybe something like this happened between his father and Brian Cox:

:D

Foebane72

OMG, now he's quoting Yoda.

Just look at that video, he's so embarrassing to watch with his inane grin and persistent enthusiasm.

You know who I think is better than him?

Carl Sagan

Now THERE'S someone who can talk astronomy and not look like a complete nerd.

simon ess

I remember seeing him on Newsnight defending the cost of CERN against some crusty old establisment figure. I forget who it was, but I think he was an ex president of the Royal Society or some such.

Cox systematically destroyed him.

Paxo just sat back with arms folded and a smile on his face.

John

Just look at that video, he's so embarrassing to watch with his inane grin and persistent enthusiasm.

You know who I think is better than him?

Carl Sagan

Now THERE'S someone who can talk astronomy and not look like a complete nerd.

IIRC, He is one of his hero's

NewMan

Actually, it was Obi Wan...

I think Cox is great - not a fan of his music, but as has been said, anyone who brings physics to the masses in an entertaining and understandable way gets a nod of respect from me....

blasted

Novice Member
Like the bloke, like what he does and admire his ability to understand a subject far better than I ever could. I do find his wishy washy wow isn't everything great attitude a little irritating, but if it gets the kids interested it can only be good.

Reminds me a bit of the fast show character, isn't everything brilliant.

simon ess

Huw Wheldon Lecture 2010: Science - a challenge to TV Orthodoxy

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Royal Television Society Lecture, Huw Wheldon Lecture 2010: Science - a challenge to TV Orthodoxy

In the film I said Astrology was "a load of rubbish" and the BBC asked for a statement about this after some criticism so I said "I apologise to the astrology community for not making myself clear, I should have said that this new age drivel is undermining the very fabric of our civilisation".

Jenn

Novice Member
Following on from a random off shoot in the Kim Jong Il thread, what are your thoughts on Brian Cox?

I loved his voice. the way he talked and how he could make certain subject more interesting just with his apparent enthusiasm.

Then I thought "lets follow him on twitter, what's the worst that could happen?". And I ended up liking him quite a bit less.
It's a shame. I try not to let it spoil the shows he presents as I personally find them good.

And so what if he's not the supreme master in all science subjects? He doesn't claim to be.
And so what if he explains things in a way that non experts can understand? That's the point of his shows, he's not out there to educate people with a phd in science. If he gets 1 person interested in science rather than the only way is essex he deserves a medal.

Surebrec

I remember seeing him on Newsnight defending the cost of CERN against some crusty old establisment figure. I forget who it was, but I think he was an ex president of the Royal Society or some such.

Cox systematically destroyed him.

Paxo just sat back with arms folded and a smile on his face.

I think I saw that a couple of days ago on youtube

GasDad

Remembered (1964-2012)
Er, yeah, right.

THEORETICAL physicist fails to successfully freeze an egg in liquid Nitrogen on the One Show. Maybe he should stick to mathematics? :rolleyes:

I think my father knows more than him, but he doesn't want to share it with the art-loving proles of this world.

Give us a list of your dads papers then.

Here's Brians brian cox - Search Results - HEP

He is a real physicist, doing real fundamental work.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
A great ambassdor for science - and I don't mean the junk that is sometimes put out.
Watching his programmes I learn more every time although I must admit to some scepticism about the Pauli Exclusion Principle.

Quite an enjoyable lecture, I thought.

And I loved his trick of capturing hydrogen inside foam bubbles by simply passing the gas through a tube into a detergent solution, and then putting a lighted taper to the duly collected foam now held in James May's hand.

Was it a 'pop' or a 'bang', which accompanied the bubbles bursting into into flames? :)

I did think he 'skipped a bit of explanation' when he talked about electrons occupying different energy levels. I thought I was not alone at that point too and could see that many in the audience had begun to 'lose the plot'.

Good Luck to him! I'd like to see him doing a lot more of this stuff and being supportive to Stephen Hawking, who also gave a really great programme on TV the other night.

Penski

Really good guy, whats not to like when you compare him to the **** heads of the world?

Haters really will hate.

Last edited by a moderator:

scartlead

I think I saw that a couple of days ago on youtube

Just watched it..very interesting. Really like the way he comes across and explains what he does.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published