Professionals: Ideal setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by UglyMoose, Mar 5, 2005.

1. UglyMoose

UglyMoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW, Liam, Gordon, Joe - what would be your recommendations for the best HD setup at present, with a budget of up to £6k:

Screen: Fujitsu 40 series / Panny PHD7 / Pioneer MXE-1 / other?
    Size: 50 / 42
    Scaler: Lumagen / Dvdo / Crystallio / other?
    Required accessories: converters / cards etc

What do you have for yourselves?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    got to be a 50" or larger! i would say perhaps Fujitsu 50" with a lumagen HDP pro or perhaps the panny..........i would be tempted by the 63" and no scaler mmmmmmmmmmmm

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    How far are you going to be away from the display. What sources will you be watching. What displays have you seen you liked and why. What display do you have at present and what, if anything do you like about it? I do not have enough info to give any valid ideas.....

Gordon

4. UglyMoose

UglyMoose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon

Distance about 8ft, sources will be Sky +, and DVI equipped DVD player, PS2, maybe laptop occasionally.
    Currently running 100hz 32" Panasonic CRT, and so far have only seen FDE / XDE, Hitachi 5200 & 5300, XDE was nice, but the demo hooked up DVI equipped player by S-VHS.
    Size 50" max.

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    UglyMoose with 8ft viewing distance I would have thought a 32" would be more suited, 37" absolute max and even then with standard sky I'm not sure it would look too pretty.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    42" HD (panny/pio with scaler would be ok at 8ft)

7. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I forgot he was getting a scaler! :)

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    I agree that 42" looks like a good size.......not 50" or larger....... However you will now need to go check some out. You may find that at that close a distance you will see artefacts that may not be so visible from further away. Colour errors and greyscale can largely be calibrated out. Contrast can be maximised through calibration too. De-interlacing and scaling errors along with mosquito moise and mpeg artefacts may be more obvious at such close quarters.

I'd have a look at a 43" Pioneer MXE and a Panny D7 42HD. The Hitatchi's have their own following and althoguh they are not my cup of tea you should confirm your own thoughts. Lastly I have a colleague who I respect greatly who uses a NEC42" HD current model. Harder to find and probably even harder to find set up properly....(any forum sponsors got one? Liam?) I've not had pleasure myself but it's got to be worth looking out.

My own preferance is 43"mxe if you can put up with grey black levels....and Panny42hd if you can put up with the more obvious posterisation.

Gordon

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Interesting Gordon i have written the XR3 XM3 NEC units off as a viable solution after my experience with them earlier this year!
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183227
    My persoanl preference is the PHD7 panny + scaler (i would say at the distance of 8' that a scaler is a must for Sky (preferably SDi modded)

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    I am well aware the YOU have written off NEC but you didn't ask the question that started the thread...... Do you feel that everyone should just do what you suggest?

Gordon

11. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Hi Ugly - it's gotta really be setup to your needs/tastes. I'm an NEC fan myself but all models have their "features", you need to get out and see the top 3 (NEC, Panny, Pio) and decide which picture you prefer. Don't be tempted to buy one model just because it appears to work better with a scaler (if you did it would be NEC 42XR3 which is my choice at the moment - 60hz for NTSC, 75hz for PAL and HDCP compliant).

Lose the DVI DVD player, get an SDI modded one instead. DVI by it's nature is progressive scan so making the video processor quite redundant. Philips 963 gives the best SDI picture (and is the player I have ;) ), Arcams love being modded and have fantastic audio output. An older Arcam running analogue component to a scaler will look better than many current digital output DVD players running direct.

Perhaps SDI mod the Sky box, I'm doubtful as to its merits as most channels are so poor to start with the improvement is lost. But if money no object (or if spending £6k on a 42" image!)

Scaler choice is personal. ProHDP or Crystalio for top end, although middle Lumagen (HDP) will probably show little difference over the ProHDP on a 42" display. Lumagen is on a constant improvement cycle but right now there are one or two bugs that annoy me in PAL and Video deinterlacing - I still have a lumagen tho, the one or two bugs don't bother me much and will be gone soon!

So yeah I've kind of come up with my system (I have H77 tho so no plasma at mo): NEC XR3 coming soon (£2500), Lumagen HDP (£1500 with SDI), SDI modded Philips 963 (£600), SDI mod Sky+ box (£350), Bettercables DVI (£80 3m), Black Rhodium power leads (£330 for 8-way block or £85 ea for decent lead), Van Damme SDI leads (£20), wall mount (£100), installation (depends on site/situation), ISF calibration (£300). But as I say it's personal, and the choice of plasma is pretty much gonna swing it.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    Instead of SDI modding a player you could use the interlaced 480i/576i capability of the DV79 or FMJ29 Arcams from their HDMI sockets. This signal is processable by the Lumagens and gives you the closest signal to what's on the disc without actually having to hack your player with SDI mod kit.

Gordon

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Moose, had you considered going LCD rather than plasma? You can buy a Sharp LC45FD1E (45" screen, 1920x1080 resolution) for around £5K online, leaving plenty left over for an Ican HD+ scaler. The smaller pixel size might suit you better if you want to sit that close to the screen, and having a full 1920x1080 resolution to play with will be nice for 1080i material.

14. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I saw one of these screens at the bristol show and was very impressed with it. Definitely worth a proper demo if you can get one. I saw HD material running at 1080i and 720p, veeeery nice. DVD through a digital connection (HDMI I think) was also very good. But I haven't been able to see one running Sky, specifically some footy to see if there's much motion blur.

15. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moose, go for the Fujitsu P50/40. This panel has raised the PQ bar a few notches above the herd. You'll get all the great advantages of the superior contrast w/the Panny glass w/the added bonus of first rate electronics. The new AVM II processor may even alleviate the need for an additional external processor in your region, but can't swear to that one.

Another note...if you're measuring your present viewing distance from a Tube, you can usually add about 1'-2' for Plasma as it is closer to the wall. In my mind 8'-10' from a 50"er is the sweet spot!

16. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cajieboy - the 40 series arent out here yet. They were launched at the end of last month but to my knowledge, none of our expert retailers (mentioned in UM's opening post) have had a chance to really experiment with a Fujitsu 40 series. Its my current choice, too (if I can only get one!) but its gotta be the 50" - the 42" is a disappointment, with washed out greys, rather than blacks. That said, Im intrigued by the whole SDI modding thing. I wonder if it would further improve on the already stunning PQ of my machine through its HDMI socket?

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The 42 Fuji is a ALIS, go for Hitachi it's cheaper if that's the route you like. Liam, interesting the XM3 you say
    Is this why I could not reliably get it to work at 720p/50? 75 is a solution, I got no further than the total **** on the screen, ask Horny and Family guy. They both saw it here, as well as the mega test. Gordon's mate must have a dark secret, that's all I can say. The need for a demo, with scalers, cannot be overstressed, if you want to be satisfied with the end result. You are basically checking whish evil you must avoid, poor blacks, (NEC suffer this too) or possible FRC judder. See the PHD and the MXE, the NEC does not compete on price with these 2 either by the way, and chew the results over. In my experience, there's little to choose in scalers in terms of FRC judder, but it's noticeable in other areas, and connectivity in particular. The Lumagen is 'faster' than the iscan, making high level gaming a possiblity, you are killed by video delay with an iscan.

18. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Am talking about scaler use, native res at 75hz and 50hz is possible on the 42". You've even done this haven't you?

Why you couldn't get the iSCan to work I don't know, you're the only person!!! A few other iScan users have, Lumagen and Crystalio have no problem, many upscaling players seem OK. But you are right, it isn't supported so you could find yourself in trouble down the line with HDTV (although on the phone NEC insist it is supported?!?!?). NEC doesn't compete on price?? Yeah its the same price but includes a full set of connectors and a 2yr warranty lol !!!

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Nope i couldn't either (with help of OWL personel)

20. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Fujitsu P50/40 is the hot ticket Plasma on the AVS Forum in the US for very good reasons. If you would like to read up on what current/recent owners of this Plasma have to say, just go to www.avsforum.com and put in a search. Here in the US, Fujitsu's are not easy to demo for many people because of limited authorized dealers. I think it's worth the extra effort. These are considered "Ferrari" Plasmas by many, and more likely found in high-end A/V stores. From looking at your Meirdian and B&W Speaker setup, I think you'll feel right at home.:D

BTW: Fujitsu has lowered their 2005 prices here in the US to better compete in the market. This has spurred on more people to choose Fujitsu that might otherwise had gone to a lower priced brand. Fujitsu's are still in the top tier price category, but have narrowed the gap enough for more people to justify the extra cost vs. PQ & Performance. After the rave reviews from the CES Las Vegas in Jan. 2005, the P50's have been THE panel to purchase if PQ is your holy grail.

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    We have different HD issues to you guys though, the new screens are offering support for our HD resolutions, but when asked about native res, the Fujistu man replied (somewhat arrogantly maybe) that with a Fujistu you don't need a scaler, their internals are better.... Run that one past Gordon!!!

22. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
  23. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I had thought that Pat or anyone else over there considering a Fujitsu P50/40 might opt for an external processor later, and once they have had the opportunity to experience the internal AVM II. Fujitsu's internal electronics are considered the best you can get in a Plasma at this time, and couple that fact w/the Panny glass have made this P50 panel a winner in the PQ dept. Can't wait to read your Forum's take on it once you've had the chance to do a proper demo..with AND without the external processor.

24. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    Well I guess Fuji would say that about the original AVM but they still managed to make it better....No doubt the current units are better (they are....)but all previous models have been, quite frankly, poor in comparison to their competition., imo.

I also think you'll find the reason that many hi-end stores sell fuji is precisely because you can't buy them at trade on the net.....not for performance reasons at all.

No doubt I'll get a chance to spend some time with some new fuji's at some point. Always worth looking at them of course. I'm sure set up well you'll get a very pleasing image.

Cheers,

Gordon

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Bang on the money again, Gordon! It's fujitsu's no. 1 pitch to me, 'we look after your margins'. To be fair they do also look after your customers, they really do respond to warranty calls. I sell a few, but not many fujitsu plasmas. Just too much money, and even millionaires watch the pounds you know, it's how they got rich in the 1st place.

26. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fujitsu does seem to control their product more closely than others, but their panels have had a great reputation for awhile now...unlike NEC. :D
    What do you consider to be the top 4 Plasma TV's in the UK at this time?

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There's only 2 over here... The others are nowhere.

28. cajieboy

cajieboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well MAW, don't keep me in suspense, which 2 are you referring?? ;)

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Begin with "P" by any chance?