1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professional Plasma Installation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lapman22, Aug 25, 2004.

1. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to close a deal to purchase a 2nd hand Panasonic 50" plasma from a well respectable (and extremely friendly :) ) forum member. Since the deal include the screen , lots of cables and accessories as well as a Denon pair (DVD and AMP) - all for less than 4 grand , you can see the bargain from miles away... :smashin:

I have seen this set , as well as the Pioneer 504 I was fixated on before , and I must say the Pioneer was a complete disappointment. Perhaps it was related to the setup it was with (in JL) , but far worse than I expected.

Now , We haven't shaken hands or exchange monies , as the warranty issue is still to be sorted out , However I'm already thinking ahead once it is done and dusted. I've contacted 3 professional installers - 1 from a friend refferal , and 2 from one of the dozens of magazines I've been reading lately. These are:

Krishav (from Chiswick , London)
    Millenium AV (from Uxbridge)
    Into AV (from Southgate , North London)

All of them were requested to provide a quote for performing a professional checkup on the screen , if all OK to dismantle it , deliver and install on my wall. The quotes I got varied between 375 to 520.

I'd like to know if anyone has used these before , or if not has anyone got a contact for someone who can do the job instead?

While we're at it , I'm looking for a good speaker package to complement the setup. Should be small and VERY good looking (wife-factor). Any ideas?

Cheers,

Lapman.

PS - You can breath now Lee , the 4 grand was only a joke... :laugh:

2. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No comments? :confused:

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The quotes don't seem too bad particularly if installation at your end includes burying cables in the wall to the plasma.

As for the speakers, have you looked at the Anthony Gallo Micros? I've got them, they sound great, and for maximum WAF are only 4 inches in diameter and come in a number of colours - in fact, I've got them because the wife saw them and insisted!

HTH

John

4. Babul4u

Babul4u
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try calling Richer Sounds and ask them to recommend a local firm/engineer. They quoted me between £180 - £240 for 3-4 hours work i.e. wall mount installation, chasing wires etc, connection.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's stoomonster's gear is it? He sounds a careful man, so I'm sure it will be fine. The quotes you have seem very reasonable to me, I would be quoting just inside the higher one probably, though that would include installing the micros and setting it all up. There is a solid day's work involved in this, and a 2nd man needed for the lift onto the wall. I'm not pitching for the business mind, no clue where you are, and not keen on working too far from my patch.

6. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope , It's Loonatic's kit ;) (stoomonster - what r u selling?) I didnt' know RS do installations , and frankly I would far prefer a pro. for that.

I'm still having a nightmare with the warranty issue , and loonatic is losing his patience... :blush: , so I guess I'll have to make up my mind one way or the other pretty soon.

And BTW , I had a second demo of the 504HDE coupled with a 868 DVD - It was AMAZING!!

I'm in N12 MAW , Is that close enough for you?

Cheers,

Lapman.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Beg your pardon, I meant Loonatic, for some reason I have them confused. N12 is way off limits to me. And B4 you wax too lyrical about a 504 check it out on analogue or sky, personally I can't bear it, and would leave it in the box sooner than give up my PW6/Z2 setup. How old is the screen? Usually it must be less than 6 months to extend a warranty, if that's what you are trying to do. I can check that for you, I don't need to go to N12 for that. Do they still eat babies up there?

8. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's the main problem MAW , it's 8 months old and no one would take it for extended warranty. Believe you me , I've tried a LOT of them... :thumbsdow

With regards to the 504 , I can see what you mean by analogue\sky but that one has something Panasonic doesn't - HDMI. However you look at it , the picture using it is unbeatable , at least for now.

But , as you keep saying , it's down to personal taste so I wouldn't hold that against you. :)

Cheers,

Lapman.

9. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried these guys: www.tadlassist.com

They extended my 10 month old Panny for another 2 years for £220 which includes a loan set.