Product feature : SnaZio Net DVD Cinema HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stuart Wright, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    The Media Factory unveils the SnaZio Net DVD Cinema HD SZ1350, the first true High Definition Player for Macintosh and PC, delivering 720p and 1080i HDTV resolution via DVI and Component Video output suitable for Plasma and High Definition displays.
    SnaZio Net DVD Cinema HD is a networked DivX DVD player equipped with a WLAN 802.11g wireless networking connection for cable free access. It also has the ability to stream audio, video, picture contents from your PC to any TV or home theater system. Moreover USB 2.0 connectivity makes it an ideal choice for Digital Camera and USB memory consumers who wish to connect their devices directly to Net DVD Cinema to enjoy their contents on a HD display or Projector. Supporting a wide platform, SnaZio Net DVD Cinema HD is compliant with Windows, Mac and Linux.
    The player is multiregion out of the box and available for £234 from The Media Factory.

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Glad I waited a while for a new DVD player as this seems brilliant. Reassuring to see its the Media factory promoting it.

Where can you buy DVD's recorded with WMV9 content.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    Seems like a good product, although am I the only one who thinks it's a bit pricey? Think I'll stick with XBMC for now!

4. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Here?

Erm. No actually as only available to USA and Canada. However, some US based suppliers will ship outside the US.

5. hufartd

hufartd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    mr fernand ( I assume you will be watching this thread)
    I am in edinburgh most days do you have any demo facilities or loan machine
    for this? I really fancy one.
    will they play real audio streams (radio scotland football commentary streams) or is that asking too much.
    I really want it for my ripped cd collection and is the menu easy to use (wife factor)
    thanks

6. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I've heard mixed reviews about the Snazio, for Xvid and conventional DVD's it's great but for .ts playback it's not good at all. In fact the reviews I've read from people who have one, say it's rubbish. The drive doesn't handle high bitrate HD material...anything over 13Mbs and playback stutters, so that would wipe out almost all my HD collection. :(
    The HD version of Dances With Wolves spans 7 discs, so the carpet would become threadbare quite quickly, with all that disc-changing malarkey. :nono:

Maybe if Snazio release an updated version, that remedies the shortcomings, I'd probably take the plunge....but I'll stick to my HTPC for HD playback for now.

7. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can also buy them from some place in Germany - don't have the url to hand but it's been mentioned on these forums several times (http://www.high-def.de/ ?)

8. DennisT

DennisT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want these facilities in the UK check out the Pinnacle ShowCenter at around 170 quid.....

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,599
    Hello all

Good to see we've stirred up some interest - and good too to see/hear different perspectives on the 'value' of a Networked DVD player!

Tejstar - for folk who have YUV 'Component' Video Inputs on a Display or Projector its not always that easy to integrate a PC; or even want one permanently in your living room.

hufartd - not tried Radio Scotland as yet; if I have time tonight I'll give it a go. Though I have a pile of kit to prep tonight so it may be tomorrow before I have a chance to have a listen.

As your local then a demo or loan may be a good idea if you have worries about integrating with the rest of the family!!!!

Andy Leitch - *.ts files over a Network are reported as working perfectly up to 25mb/sec.

We've had generally very good feedback so far - most folk find the interface 'clunky' compared to the what you get from Pioneer, Denon and the like... though equally most folk say they can forgive this due to what they see on-screen.

More than a few of these Players are already installed on LAN's in dealer showrooms around the UK as a means to delivering the HD experience on some very exotic Display and Projection hardware.

Best regards

Joe

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    I'm a bit surprised that someone thinks it is expensive. Considering what it can do - multiregion Hi Def DVD player with USB and Networking, I thought it was very well priced :confused:

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    two questions from me.

1) does it do 720p and 1080i over component, and upscale DVDs over component too? My HDMIs are spoken for

2) Can it read directly from NAS? I have a buffalo linkstation that I stream from using XBMC so I don't need my PC on 24/7, so thats a prerequisite for me.

Pretty good price if it'll give me a nicer looking, hidef XBMC.

12. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So, will it play T2 Extreme DVD WMV-HD?
    Ta, Neil
    :lease: :lease:

13. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    T2 only plays on an internet connected device, since it requires a licence from a server in the US before it will play.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,599
    Hello richard plumb

Yes to Video Up-conversion from standard DVD's (480i and 576i) to 720P or 1080i on the YUV or DVI Outputs and HD content pulled in over a Network can be set to Output at 720P or 1080i on YUV or DVI too.

I've not tried a Buffalo NAS but seeing as SnaZio have a partner product (Tera NAS HD) I cant see any reason for you to have a problem.

Best regards

Joe

15. stevebrowne

stevebrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TS playback over the network is perfect. I haven't even tried plugging a HD into the USB yet, as the network just works. DVD playback is also very good. My only gripe is the slow interface (compared to XBMC on the Xbox), but hopefully future software updates will address that.

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,115
    The new units shipping seem to have a new faster interface compared to the originals. Firmware updates are constantly being worked on. It's true that the DVD drive is not able to support very high bitrates but as has been suggested, just stream them over the network. We had 10 or so discs at the Scottish HiFi show and only two were not playable over the internal drive. These were very high bitrate rips from off air sources. On a picture quality point of view the image from Snazio looks superior to that from the Roku I've seen in use several times before on the same system.

Gordon

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I haven't tried the Hard drive route yet but this player seems to operate VERY well. Expensive, NO WAY! It is capable of loads and seems to be a jump up from my Roku. It is very well equiped with features.

Re the 13mb 'limit' this is rubbish, it can deal with every ts file I have thrown at it. DVD is pretty decent as well. The interface isn't as bad as I was expecting either.

I am impressed after my initial play and would recommend this player.

18. stevebrowne

stevebrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only file I have had problems with is a 35mb/s TS file (clip of a football match - no audio), which I found somewhere, as was intentionally high to test things out. The Snazzio can't do that properly. But then neither can my PC!

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    I was just comparing it against the Momitsu V880N, which has a smiliar spec for less than £200 (although the Momitsu does not have divx capability).

20. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Let’s say that my display were only able to handle a 1080i/50 signal… Can this player convert anything I throw at it to 1080i/50, like an HTPC would?

Basically I’d like to play a mix of 1080i/60, 720p/60, 480i/60 and 576i/50 content and output everything at 1080i/50 over component.

Cheers.

21. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    I've seen this in action streaming Hi Def to a scaler and Sony G90. It means you can have some networked PCs in other rooms of the house and stream ripped DVDs and HD content from any of those PCs to the display using a user friendly interface and remote control. Vey useful if you're not into using an HTPC though I haven't seen it working without a scaler. I also think it's great value.

Gary.

22. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Not according to Snazzio themselves....they only guarantee 15Mbs.

http://www.snazio.com/Links/Net DVD Cinema_FAQ.htm#9

It may, in some situations, handle higher bit-rates, but I'm not going to take that gamble.

For my needs at least, the 1350 is not up to the job I want it to do.
    It can't play .ts files reliably from the drive, can't play high-bitrate .ts files over a network, can't play .ts files via USB 2.0 larger than 4Gb due to FAT 32 limitations. :thumbsdow :(

If they released an updated model with those faults fixed....I'd have one in a blink of an eye.

Or maybe by that time, the Zensonic may have been released.

http://www.z500series.com/

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    There is a FAT32 limitation but that is the FAT32 limitation and not a Snazzio fault, the rest of your list I do at home on an everyday basis as do other users I know. I think you may be suffering from the joys of mis information from the internet. Have you used a machine yet Andy, because i for one didn't go this route when it was launched because of posts here, when I saw a machine at Elliots, the decision was simple and I realised I had been badly misinformed? All of my mates, both Professional and Hobbyist who are seriously into top end kit are buying this machine, in my case it has replaced 2 HCPCs and a Roku. It took about 5 mins to show it superiority and 4 of those were connecting up the cables. It ain't perfect but nothing is but it is recommended.

24. sprout

sprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Thinking of buying one so this is just a bump to get auto notification of updates on this thread.

:thumbsup:

25. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just a note to say you can subscribe to a thread using the thread tools button above without having to add a message.

Ray

26. sprout

sprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Ray,

Thanks for that, I was unawre.

I have just ordered mine from Joe :thumbsup:

Thanks

sprout

27. sprout

sprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Ordered yesterday at 2pm, arrived this morning at 9AM :thumbsup:

19Hrs :D

Thanks Joe

28. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've read a review of the player here - http://www.mpcclub.com/modules/Reviews/reviews/Review_Snazio_Net_DVD_Cinema_HD.pdf

and it says upscaling is only supported on streaming media, thus not on original dvd's, but
    you're saying it does?? Can you confirm that it will scale dvd's to 720p or 1080i

Thnx

cartman69

29. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,115
  30. cartman69

cartman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    gordon,

thanx for the info, you wouldn't care to post the hack here would you :devil: