Producing a plasma FAQ - what bullet points would you include?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
We are producing a FAQ - actually it's more of a guide - for people new to the technology which in simple terms states the important points about plasma TVs.
It needs to help them understand the basics of plasma TVs and how they compare with LCD.

For example.
  • Plasma technology tends to be used for larger TVs, which vary from 30 up to 150 inches in diameter, with 42 and 50 inch versions being the most popular.
  • Plasma TVs do not ever require re-gassing. This is an urban myth.
You get the idea.
What bullet points would you include?

Plasma screens don't have a short life span eg panasonic quote 100000 hour life.
Plasma technology was invented with motion in mind. this has given plasma an inherent advantage when dealing with motion.
The gas can't escape!
the power consumption of a correctly setup plasma is not massively more than that of an equivalent size LCD as many people think.
Plasma is not a dying technology.

Here's a few to start. It still amazes me the garbage I here people talk about plasma. the funny thing is many people I know of refer to their LCD screen as "my plasma" anything you can do to help provide people with accurate information can only be good. There are situations where an LCD maybe the best choice but for my main screen I'd currently have nothing but a plasma and can't see that changing quickly.:)

100,000 hours @ 8 hours a day is 34 years.

100,000 hours @ 8 hours a day is 34 years.

impressive isn't it, shame the rest of the electronics don't last as long as the gas. There are obviously down sides to the technology too but I'lll leave those for someone else to cover.

impressive isn't it, shame the rest of the electronics don't last as long as the gas. There are obviously down sides to the technology too but I'lll leave those for someone else to cover.
Such as image retention (normally just called IR on here) which an after 'ghost' image if a static image is left on screen for long periods of time though this can depend on Tv but fades with time.
Screen burn while not a common thing is where the 'ghost' of an static image thats been on screen for many hours does not go or fade.
Plasma buzz. Due to the way the panels are run a faint buzz maybe heard, which can get louder on brighter screens.

On a plus side
Plasmas tend to be cheaper than full LED backlit tvs of equal size.
Plasmas tend to have deeper blacks than lcds.

This is great stuff, thanks. But we are aiming this at people who don't know what 'deeper blacks' means, and therefore we should choose some simpler, jargon-free language.

This is great stuff, thanks. But we are aiming this at people who don't know what 'deeper blacks' means, and therefore we should choose some simpler, jargon-free language.
Right I'm with ya ;) I can go quite geeky at times. The shear amount of times my mates give me that glazed over look when I talk tech. :laugh:

Going to list more downsides.

Plasma tvs tend to be more heavy than LCD/LED tvs.
They have a sheet of glass for a screen so can be quite reflective and are not really recommened for bright rooms where the sunshines directly on screen.
They tend to be more thicker than LED/LCD tvs.

Good sides that I can think off have been listed above.

Plasma at present has a wider viewing angle than LCD/LED.

Plasma is not the best choice for prolonged use as a PC monitor.

Regards Martin

First thing is to clear up the urban myths regarding plasmas.

Re-gassing, longevity and the power that plasma uses.

If they are still reading after that you could then explain the possibility of retention/burn in (a very real problem that has NOT gone away with new plasmas) and how to avoid it.

Then I would try to explain the beneifits of plasma regarding PQ which is in my opinion the most important thing to consider with any display tech.

Can you please have a section that explains why a new owner may read about bedding in a plasma, why the 200 hours etc. Many new owners seem to become confused by what it means and seem to be concerned.

For the bullet points maybe mention how plasma has lower lag for gaming whilst maintaining good motion.

Plasma can become washed out in strong ambient light, hence not looking as good in large stores.

Plasma has higher motion resolution than LCD inc LED back lit. LCDs may look sharper due to the extra brightness.

Plasma produces more detail in the darker parts of the picture (shadow detail).

Sorry if I have repeated anything.
This is a great idea, so many misconceptions out there regarding plasma, many people don't even seem to consider them and just buy LCD.

Reflections from LCD screens are becoming common too with the recent preference for glossy screens, worth bearing in mind.
I do agree that the first steps when discussing plasma's is to dispel the myths. the section placed at the top of the plasma forum show's the forum has already recognised the issue with the negative image of plasma. Even with all the steering that the editorial content provides still huge numbers of forum members still purchase large screen LCD's for me it would seem that not all of these purchases will have chosen the screen that would suit their viewing environment or viewing habits most closely.
Image quality is the key decision for me when buying a TV but for many picture quality isn't really on their list of things to check unfortunately.
I presume you'd be also covering the other display technologies stressing their pro's and con's to., if this is provided in one guide it may be more likely for it to be read and then the intended audience can make an informed decision with all the relevant information. :)

Can you please have a section that explains why a new owner may read about bedding in a plasma, why the 200 hours etc. Many new owners seem to become confused by what it means and seem to be concerned.

:boring:

Last edited:
Maybe warning potential plasma owners of the poor advice and non truths they may receive in certain stores.
Afterall they are sales persons first and tv experts 2nd:eek::laugh:

Regards Martin

Maybe warning potential plasma owners of the poor advice and non truths they may receive in certain stores.
Afterall they are sales persons first and tv experts 2nd:eek::laugh:

Regards Martin

:rotfl:2nd?! I'm sure theres plenty in between, depending on the age maybe cars, women, maybe DIY? :laugh:

edit: on topic :)
Maybe have a known issue list with brief explination of each, could start with snakes:)

Maybe the very first one should be that plasmas don't have a back light.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom