1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processors with THX?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Jase, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Or use something like a Denon A1SR or upgraded A1SE as a processor. ;)

2. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im inline for getting a new processor. I was set on the arcam av8 but have decided to cut my budget so i can get a better tv:).
    Does anyone have any processors that they could recommend between the £1000 and £2000 price bracket that has the THX sound standard. Thanks to those that can help.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MC-1 & Tag AV32R, sec/hand.

THX processors have some useful functions..checkout the equalisation setting & subwoofer peak protection mode. I use them both.

Oh yeah should be able to pickup a DC-2 for £900-£1000...oops noticed you said new, which the above aren't. :p

4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is that new rotel 1098 (i think), the one with the lcd on the front panel going to have THX or be able to upgrade to?

5. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The tag was one i was looking at. It is a problem for me to find second hand stuff of that quality though thats why i seem to always buy new (not a bad thing cause my local store sorts me out nicely)

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EH?

How did Jase appear above you? (and me)

Weird.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "rotel 1098 THX?"

Doesn't look like it.

The only THX processor I know Rotel made was the Pro-Logic only one (model before the RSP-966)

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Why is THX so important to you?

If you can stretch to a Naim AV2 you will probably be happy. Or at the cheaper end of the spectrum there's Rotel and Cyrus. 2nd hand MC-1, Tag AV32R, or Meridian 568 mk I are also possibilities.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The rsp 980 was thx and prologic only, however, the rsp985 was also thx but did include DD and DTS.

Ad

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Parasound 1800 had Re-Eq function (part of the THX spec) useful feature, I guess if your centre is a bit brash/harsh on the treble it'll sort it out.

11. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I was wondering the same

12. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im just trying to get the most up to date (future proof) processor i can. I dont really want to have to fork out another £1000-£2000 grand within the next 4 years on another processor and it seems THX is gonna be the way to go.

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    From what I've seen in the last year, THX certification seems to be less important now than it used to be.

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX approved processor mainly have a few functions other non- THX processors lack...taken off the THX website..

Re-Equalization removes the edgy "brightness" of cinema sound, accurately adapting movie sound for home playback. Timbre MatchingTM ensures a tonal match between front and surround speakers for smooth sound movement.

Surround-sound spaciousness
    Adaptive DecorrelationTM manages Mono Surround signals for a true stereo feel.

Bass ManagementTM sends bass to subwoofers, delivering cinema-quality bass and allowing for smaller, easier-to-place speakers. Bass Peak Level ManagerTM protects subwoofers from overload, ensuring trouble-free delivery of bass-heavy soundtracks.

Loudspeaker Position Time SynchronizationTM lets you set up your system for optimal "sweet-spot" listening anywhere in large or space-constrained rooms.

If you can find a processor with Re-Eq & Subwoofer peak protect function (if found on a non-THX processor) then I would class these two as the most important functions on a THX processor.

What I would do- borrow a DC-2/MC-1 or similar; then play around with the THX button, and the Re-Eq & Sub limit functions... if you don't find them features useful, then for go for a non-THX processor.

Paying for equipment with the THX badge does mean some of the total cost of the amp goes to Lucas (I believe THX testing of one product model costs $10,000)

I guess for the inexperienced newbie who wants high quality kit, I would consider going for a THX poweramp; as at least it passes a certain ability to drive speakers (although a experienced hifi buff will also know a high quality poweramp can pass & exceed THX spec)

Just because it's THX doesn't mean it's upgradeable.

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    "Surround sound spaciousness" I suspect just means Dolby ProLogic II (or equivalent), Bass Management is common to virtuaally all processors, and Time Synchronisation means the ability to add small (differing) delays to the various channels so that the sound from all the speakers reaches you at the same time - again, nearly all processors can do this.

So of the things on Nathan's list I would say that Re-equalisation and Timbre-matching are the only ones that might be omitted on an up-to-date processor that is not THX-certified. Whether these matter to you or not is something you have to decide for yourself, but I know that a lot of people prefer to watch films with THX Re-equalisation switched off.

All in all, my suspicion is that THX-certification will not be of much practical importance.

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite a few processors DO have THX -specific functions; my Denon AVD-2000 has Re-Eq, so does the Parasound 1800.

The delay alignment on my THX processor is better than the non THX other processors I've used (and a Rotel processor) - for instance it allows the centre to be closer to the fronts (on the other two processors if you set L/R's to 5M and centre to 4M, centre will default to 5M) With the MC-1, it stays at 4M. And other features as well.

Customization of my processor far surpasses the Naim AV2 (I've downloaded both manuals) Can't comment on the sound quality between them.

I also wonder the quality of the bass management feature on top-end processors (THX or not) compared to lesser models.

17. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And contrary to Nathans preference, i would avoid thx power amps as a rule! :p But as wilth all things there is a large degree of personal preference.

Ad

18. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was under the impression that THX certification is list of guidelines on best practice you must follow in the design from the comments above they have some equalisation features that belong to the brand, not only do electronics manufacturers have to pay THX a fee to certify the amps they also have to pay a premium on each product they sell that goes to George and apparently it is quite a substantial premium.

19. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Chaps.

THX has evolved somewhat with the times you know.
    On a personal front i always employ THX processing for DD dvd's.
    THX Re-eq is somewhat more refined than some of the Denon receivers (et al) re-eq function - which as i under stand it is a global shelf filter across the front three.
    The THX variant for DD uses an adaptive decorrelation for rear channels only embuing itself when required.
    On the latest tag software it (decorrelation) has been completely removed for PL2 processing.
    THX EX is NOT identical to DD-EX it employs timbre matching to the surround back channels also.
    THX2 compliant kit allows you to specify boundary control for the sub channel - should your listening position be on the back wall.
    it also takes into account the distance between sourround back speakers AS WELL distance to seating position.
    I am learning to appreciate very much THX2 processing on standard 5.1 soundtracks.
    Of course the proof is always in the pudding and all this "tech" is worthless if you don't like it and some people just do not like it.
    My own personal thoughts on it are that generally speaking on the processing front it is a reasonably well thought set of criterea, and my opinion is that some 5.1 soundtracks can actually sound quite crude without it.

regards

Steven.

20. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,
    I can confirm the new rotel processor does not feature THX post processing, looks stunning in the flesh! the camera is also an excellent idea.

21. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It should also be noted that the new Rotel processor has received fairly poor reviews across the pond - for what thats worth.

regards

Steve.

22. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Re Rotel

Hi Steve, do you have a link to the reviews.

Hi Craig, do you have one in the branch yet?

23. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I haven't seen virtually anything on the 1098 yet, I suspect it might struggle to compete in its price range.

24. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    check out this

Ad