1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processors - Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Ultraviolet, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have been racking my brains about how to move to 6.1 and would appreciate any advice..... the central rear surround speaker is in place so now its just down to the electronics.

Things is, I'm loath to bin my old(ish) Denon amp (DTS, DD 5.1) and replace with a 3802 or similar mid price receiver because all my video and audio switching is done via my iScan. I would prefer not to pay for this functionality which seems to be in-built into all decent AV receivers.

Ideally I would just buy a standalone processor and feed into the external 5.1 input on my current Denon (but using the middle channel input for the rear centre, not front centre). Then buy an additional monoblock for the front centre. This would improve sound to the critical front centre channel whilst keeping my current amplification and using this for the front and rear surrounds and the rear centre.

Problem is there are hardly any standalone processors this side of a grand.... and none that I can find in my budget (around £500). I am tempted to go for the Creative Labs DDTS-100. This is either a bargain (at less than £100) or hopelessly unsuited to a decent home cinema system.

Does anyone have any experience of the DDTS-100? And are the ideas above the ramblings of a mad man or a sensible way forward?

Any help appreciated....

UV

2. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have no experience of the Creative product but really can't see it being any good for £100. How about a second hand Rotel RSP1066 for £599 here. It's been outdated by the newer 1068 but will give you 6.1 and was highly regarded and I would expect it to be a worthwhile upgrade on your old Denon. You could then pick up a cheapish power amp and bi-amp your centre (if it can be).

Hope that helps some.
    Simon

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    With your budget I agree that second hand is the only real option. There are normally a couple of processors up for grabs in the classified section of these forums. Coming from other enthusiasts you can be fairly confident that the processor has been well looked after and should serve you well for at least a couple of years.

Mark.