Processors/amps that haven't been released yet

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread on the following issue: is there any kit coming out in the next few months that is likely to be so much better value than anything out now that it might be worth waiting for?

Three possibilities (although I'm sure there are others): new processor from Linn (due to be exhibited in January); Tag McLaren AV192R; and some as-yet-unannounced-in-detail device from Lexcion that is supposed to be a "baby" MC-12.

Denon have a new processor/power amp combo that they´re working on. They´re aiming for TAG/Lexicon performance but without the price tag (according to Denon Jeff over at the AVS Forums).

Jase, have Denon given any indication of when this is likely to see the cold light of day?

Also Cyrus have a new "upgradeable" processor - the AV8. Not too many details on the Cyrus web site yet - does anyone have any more details (release dates maybe?).

Originally posted by AOD
Jase, have Denon given any indication of when this is likely to see the cold light of day?

None that I´m aware of as yet.:( I´m looking forward to seeing what they can come up with.:)

The Cyrus AV8 is already out. I've listened to it. Unfortunately Sevenoaks (Holborn branch) were sufficiently disorganised that I can't really offer any useful feedback on it. It's quite cut down compared to other processors - can only do 5.1, so no DD EX, DTS ES. No THX. No video capabilities at all.

How about the new Rotel processor, the 1066? Anybody heard this in action yet?

I heard about the Cyrus not having any video inputs (but I want "straight through video" anyway) but what formats does it have - it must have at least PL2 otherwise whats the difference between this and the older AV5?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

The main difference is the PL2 and not much else.

Bit of a missed opportunity methinks...

The guy in Sevenoaks said he thought the Cyrus sounded better than the Arcam AV8. Of course the price means that you can use heavier-duty power amps with it and still bring it in under budget. Cyrus, for example, do a quite nice monobloc power amp for about £950. Five of these plus the processor comes to only about £350 more than the Arcam AV8/P7 combination. Or you could use one of those fancy Krell Showcase things.

Funny, a guy at Raleigh HIFI said the same thing! He even went on to say that the power amps from Cyrus were alot better than those from TAG. I guess if all you need is a 5.1 processor and PL2 then the Cyrus is a bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom