1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processor vs AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by whmacs, Oct 9, 2003.

1. whmacs

whmacs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,
    I've had my HT setup for a few years now based around an Onkyo 787 receiver. Due to extensions being completed at my home, in the next few weeks I will be added a projector (infocus 5700) and replacing my existing speakers with Jamo THX D6LCR fronts / centre and D6 SUR for a 7.1 THX setup ( I already have a Jamo D6 15" THX Ultra sub). Due to the 4 ohm requirement of the speakers I will be powering everything with a Rotel RMB 1075 amp for the fronts, centre and sides and a Rotel RB 1070 for the rears. Both these amps will be connected to the pre outs on the Onkyo. So in effect the Onkyo is now only acting as a processor.

My dilemma is should I try and sell the Onkyo and get something like a Rotel RSP-1066 or keep the Onkyo as a processor as the cost wouldn't justify the improvement. I've already gone over budget so a more expensive processor than the Rotel is not really an option. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephen

2. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    It depends on how happy you are with the sound produced with the Onkyo as the processor. If you are happy (as you almost certainly will be given the raft of improvements you have just made) then keep the Onkyo until you can afford something that will be a significant improvement (TAG/Lexicon/Meridian etc).

3. whmacs

whmacs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Lovegoova,
    Thanks for the reply. I've been happy with the Onkyo and it seems to do a good job decoding DTS or DD signals, so I was struggling with what a low cost processor would give me over this receiver. The Rotel amps I don't have a problem justifying (at least in my own mind, my wife may have a different opinion!) as the Onkyo only has 6 built in amps and the new room is quite large at 6.5 x 7 x 2.8 metres thus the 7.1 system. I'll keep saving for a better processor.

Cheers,
    Stephen