• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Processor usage, with video

abraxus

Established Member
I have Toshiba G20 (2.13Ghz processor) + 2gb ram, with a built in nVidia 128mb GeForce Go 6600 video card, and have noticed that when running video that my processor usage goes up pretty high. Viewing tv goes up to around 80%, video in media player about the same, but video clips on websites and websites with video banners can somtimes get up to 100%.

I don't know if this normal as I hadn't really noticed before, but lately, with this hot weather, I have found that on the hottest days on occassion my system has shutdown, presumably because the fan can't keep up.

My question is whether these %ages of processor usage are normal for this system, or have I got some incorrect setting that is putting all the load on the processor and not the graphics card. Can anyone tell me if I can check how much of the video processing is being done by the graphics card or how I can ensure that it is doing the work and only passing on any overload to the processor.

Many thanks.

ps I've installed the latest video drivers but it's made no difference.

sbowler

Prominent Member
Like you say it could be just down to the hot weather. I fitted an extra 90mm fan case in mine, it does increase the noise from the pc but it keeps it alot cooler.

abraxus

Established Member
sbowler said:
Like you say it could be just down to the hot weather. I fitted an extra 90mm fan case in mine, it does increase the noise from the pc but it keeps it alot cooler.

Sadly I cant do that as mine's a laptop. However now that it's cooler it doesn't shut down, but I still don't believe that video clips should be taking up all of the video card and 100% of the processor as well...or should they?

Just wanted to know if this is normal usage or not.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom