Processor upgrade time, but what to do ???

Mr. Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm looking for a bit of guidance and trying to weigh up all my options and I'm sure some folks on here can share experiences and make helpful suggestions so here goes...

I'm a die hard Tag Mclaren user ( I know, I know... ) but realise things have moved on and the game may almost be up, as far as my AV processing goes. My 7.1 AV32r DP has been serviced recently and is running like a dream ( I even have an identical spare unit in exactly the same condition) but I know a change may be forced upon me.

The AV32r DP is set up in 7.1 configuration and gives me great pleasure but an impending upgrade from my trusty Kuro KRP500 may mean I'm about to fall foul of HDMI switching issues at long last. The layout of my room, wiring and most of my equipment, can't really be changed.

I currently run a Kef 203/2, 202/2c front end with TDM 34DS side speakers and Ci 2003QT rears fed by Tag 250 x 3 and Tag 100 x 5 Rel STORM III on sub duties

I currently feed a Display-port cable that's run in the wall from media box to the screen but I put an HDMI cable in the wall at the same time as an insurance policy.

If I go for a new TV Possibly Pana GZ950 I'll need to sort out switching from Sky box and blu-ray so looking at possible processors to take over from the AV32r

I don't have bottomless pockets but don't really want to take a step back in audio quality to get a bigger better picture.

I've been thinking about a Marantz 8805 or maybe a 7705 but fear I may regret swapping the Tag processor out.

I listen to 2ch for music so that element does matter to me too...

I did think I could just look at tucking away a 4k HDMI Switching unit and wrestle with that approach but the more I ponder the less sure I am what to do for the best.

I fully appreciate it's down to me at the end of the day but there's a huge weatlh of experience to tap into here so hoping some of you kind folks might like to chip in

Thanks in advance for any input

Cheers

Pretty much whatever D&M offering is going around or if you want something better, then an Anthem AVM60

I had the AVM60 in my peripheral vision Rock Danger. Do you have experience with the unit in question? It's not gonna be easy to get a demo set up with my old Tag amps and wonder if it'll walk all over my AV32r DP or whether my trusty Tag would still hold its own after all there years albeit with no HDMI switching or pass-through...

Personally I'd put an HDMI switcher in and keep things as they are. I went from a 'modern' unit to an AV9 and whilst I do miss the simplicity of the former the latter sounds so much better. I won't switch until it dies.

I had the AVM60 in my peripheral vision Rock Danger. Do you have experience with the unit in question? It's not gonna be easy to get a demo set up with my old Tag amps and wonder if it'll walk all over my AV32r DP or whether my trusty Tag would still hold its own after all there years albeit with no HDMI switching or pass-through...

Sure, I've had 3 gens of Anthems a D&M as a stop gap and now use Lyngdorf. A lot of music guys are very happy with the 2ch performance of the Anthem's whch is down to their ARC software which just got a big update.

You might have some emotional attachment to the trusty Tags, I haven't heard one in years. Have a word with Richard @Seriously Ltd he may be able to organise a demo and certainly give you options.

Personally I'd put an HDMI switcher in and keep things as they are. I went from a 'modern' unit to an AV9 and whilst I do miss the simplicity of the former the latter sounds so much better. I won't switch until it dies.
Thanks shug4476 to be honest that's one other option I'd considered. A decent 4k capable switching box could be a reasonable stop gap for now... I wonder what sort of HDMI switcher would be appropriate.

Sure, I've had 3 gens of Anthems a D&M as a stop gap and now use Lyngdorf. A lot of music guys are very happy with the 2ch performance of the Anthem's whch is down to their ARC software which just got a big update.

You might have some emotional attachment to the trusty Tags, I haven't heard one in years. Have a word with Richard @Seriously Ltd he may be able to organise a demo and certainly give you options.

Thanks. As you suspect I do have quite an attachment to my old TAG stuff Rock Danger. It took me many years to get hold of the kit I have and I'm lucky enough to have some mint, and I mean mint condition, gear and had it all serviced by Kevin Green so not itching to change the sound side of things as much as getting a bigger newer display to replace my KRP500A. I'll keep my mind open and maybe drop Richard @Seriously Ltd a line...

Hdmi switching probably best got from Home | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI

I wouldn't hang on to the old thought that AVR's are bad at music any more - they're not. But a lot of HiFi salesmen have a vested interest to omit this very obvious fact.

@orange55 is a former/current tag owner and he would be able to add his 2cents in - if he;s not too busy playing with my REW mic.

Not so much low rent, but likely to be utter schyte with handshaking, HDR 60hz etc. Could be wrong tho.

The marantz 8805 is a brilliant sounding preamp and it sounds better than the Anthem especially for music.

Hi all.

I'm looking for a bit of guidance and trying to weigh up all my options and I'm sure some folks on here can share experiences and make helpful suggestions so here goes...

I'm a die hard Tag Mclaren user ( I know, I know... ) but realise things have moved on and the game may almost be up, as far as my AV processing goes. My 7.1 AV32r DP has been serviced recently and is running like a dream ( I even have an identical spare unit in exactly the same condition) but I know a change may be forced upon me.

The AV32r DP is set up in 7.1 configuration and gives me great pleasure but an impending upgrade from my trusty Kuro KRP500 may mean I'm about to fall foul of HDMI switching issues at long last. The layout of my room, wiring and most of my equipment, can't really be changed.

I currently run a Kef 203/2, 202/2c front end with TDM 34DS side speakers and Ci 2003QT rears fed by Tag 250 x 3 and Tag 100 x 5 Rel STORM III on sub duties

I currently feed a Display-port cable that's run in the wall from media box to the screen but I put an HDMI cable in the wall at the same time as an insurance policy.

If I go for a new TV Possibly Pana GZ950 I'll need to sort out switching from Sky box and blu-ray so looking at possible processors to take over from the AV32r

I don't have bottomless pockets but don't really want to take a step back in audio quality to get a bigger better picture.

I've been thinking about a Marantz 8805 or maybe a 7705 but fear I may regret swapping the Tag processor out.

I listen to 2ch for music so that element does matter to me too...

I did think I could just look at tucking away a 4k HDMI Switching unit and wrestle with that approach but the more I ponder the less sure I am what to do for the best.

I fully appreciate it's down to me at the end of the day but there's a huge weatlh of experience to tap into here so hoping some of you kind folks might like to chip in

Thanks in advance for any input

Cheers
Happy to add my view as I went from a AV192 which I was very attached to and had it serviced by Kevin. If you have had the Op Amps replaced on the AV32 DP by Kevin then it will sound much better than the Marantz.

The AV192 was a step up from the AV32 DP, but they both had a similar transparency to them.

In the listening there were very few that bettered that Tag for 2 channel music. Anthem AVM60 didn’t cut it for me. None of the marantz did. The room eq on the marantz seemed to kill the sound on top of not being as open.

I ended up with a Lyngdorf MP-50, the only one I heard that was better than the Tag AV192.

But the Anthem is very good and I wholly recommend a listen. To be honest the 1120 or 720 are really good when used as preamps. The room eq is much better than the Tag. I have an Anthem MRX310 in our family room and it sound great and I hear it a lot as the kids always have something playing.

As per Rocks message I am still running two Tag 100x5r amps servicing the 9 channels plus two MK subs. They still sound very good and having had them serviced it opened up the sound a little more.

Hope that helps?

That Tag would hold its own, but ARC will push it past the Tag especially using your Tag amps.

Thanks for the input @orange55. I'm pretty happy with the Tag AV32R DP to be fair and the recent purchase of new (to me) front speakers injected a bit of life into my system as a whole. It's only had psu work done as per but still sounds pretty decent to my ears. Given it doesn't sound like I'm quite going to leap to another level altogether by ditching my current processor I wonder if an HDMI switcher with audio extraction would cut it for now but choosing one of those seems to be another minefield. £50 quid or so up to £1000s!

I bought an HDMI switcher to switch the video feed between projector and television. It was a passive thing with a simple relay button in the middle - must have cost me a fiver. Works flawlessly and I cannot see any difference in PQ with it in the signal chain. I am dubious about claims that simple switchers need vast sums of money spent on them. Buy a cheap one and see with your own eyes. You've lost very little if you're not happy.

Thanks for the input @orange55. I'm pretty happy with the Tag AV32R DP to be fair and the recent purchase of new (to me) front speakers injected a bit of life into my system as a whole. It's only had psu work done as per but still sounds pretty decent to my ears. Given it doesn't sound like I'm quite going to leap to another level altogether by ditching my current processor I wonder if an HDMI switcher with audio extraction would cut it for now but choosing one of those seems to be another minefield. £50 quid or so up to £1000s!
I'd definitely try the Anthem AVM60 and judge for yourself as I think you may find the ability ARC has over the manual EQ in the Tag is a massive step up in the area of room correction. Sorry I assumed you are using TMREQ, are you?

As for audio from HDMI I did try a number of solutions and none were gave me any audio benefit. I did and still use a Lumagen to do all of the HDMI switching. I use the Lumagen MINI 3D which are about £300 on flee bay and give the benefit of being able calibrate your screen also. I still use this today over the Lyngdorf HDMI switching as it works so well and allows me audio flexibility.

For audio with the Tag I personally found the COAX out of my blu ray player to the Tag gave the best sound. On DTS discs you get nearly full fat audio, it is 1.5mb compared to Dolby 640kps from the COAX out. That was a bit setup in sound and better than converting from HDMI as you can't get the full hd sound into the Tag unless you have a complex HDMI to 7.1 audio splitter or get a Blu ray player with the analogue audio outs. As for the likes of Sky COAX into the Tag again for me gave the best quality.

Hope that helps?

Where are you based mate? Plenty of people on here prepared to demo, doesn’t always help, but should give you some ideas of what modern units are like.

Where are you based mate? Plenty of people on here prepared to demo, doesn’t always help, but should give you some ideas of what modern units are like.
I'm In Sutton South London but happy to travel around a bit and may investigate further in the new year...

[/QUOTE]
I'd definitely try the Anthem AVM60 and judge for yourself as I think you may find the ability ARC has over the manual EQ in the Tag is a massive step up in the area of room correction. Sorry I assumed you are using TMREQ, are you?

As for audio from HDMI I did try a number of solutions and none were gave me any audio benefit. I did and still use a Lumagen to do all of the HDMI switching. I use the Lumagen MINI 3D which are about £300 on flee bay and give the benefit of being able calibrate your screen also. I still use this today over the Lyngdorf HDMI switching as it works so well and allows me audio flexibility.

For audio with the Tag I personally found the COAX out of my blu ray player to the Tag gave the best sound. On DTS discs you get nearly full fat audio, it is 1.5mb compared to Dolby 640kps from the COAX out. That was a bit setup in sound and better than converting from HDMI as you can't get the full hd sound into the Tag unless you have a complex HDMI to 7.1 audio splitter or get a Blu ray player with the analogue audio outs. As for the likes of Sky COAX into the Tag again for me gave the best quality.

Hope that helps?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not currently using TMREQ as my room's someway off being properly finished for reasons I won't bore anyone on here with ;-)

I'll look into the switching side of things and Lumagen sounds like a good shout so will dig a little more...

I have a BDPLX91 which was primarily bought for the Analogue outs. I've gotta chew things over a bit more but appreciate the interest and input so far...

I'm In Sutton South London but happy to travel around a bit and may investigate further in the new year...
Well i've got a marantz 8805 and a lumagen (which I've also seen you are potentially looking at). Based in Peterborough if you want a demo at some point.

Well i've got a marantz 8805 and a lumagen (which I've also seen you are potentially looking at). Based in Peterborough if you want a demo at some point.
That's very kind of you. I may well take you up on it sometime in the new year. Thanks...

Another AV32DP user here who uses a Lumagen, in this case a Radiance XS-3D for the video (and some audio) switching.

All calibrated by Gordon at Convergent - it works brilliantly with my Pronto and Harmony remotes.

You can probably pick one up for very little these days.

I am also an old Tag McLaren Fan and have some experience with some actual preamps. To be honest, if you like to get the newest features it makes sense to upgrade otherwise it is not a bad decision to keep your old stuff. The Tag McLaren amps and preamps are still competitive regarding sound quality. Especially when you are using the manual peq. I can also recommend a Lumagen or DVDO scaler for HDMI switching.

If you like to to have a real upgrade it is getting very expensive and the preferred preamp should be a Trinnov pre.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom