Processor upgrade - options besides AV7702 Mk2

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Shimrod, Feb 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    My current system is based around an aging Rotel RSP1066 and RMB1075, and it's overdue for replacement. I upgraded the speakers last year to KEF R500/R200C and a monitor audio Silver W12 subwoofer. I am going to retain the amplifier for now, and replace the processor. The plan is to then add separate amplification for the front left and right, with the RM1075 serving surround and possible Atmos speakers in the future.

The only 'affordable' processor I can find is the Marantz AV7702 Mk2. I've ruled out the Audiolab 8200AP as it is a bit too thin on features. Is the Marantz the only option available in this price range?

I'm also open to suggestions for alternative upgrade paths - the budget is the cost of the Marantz, plus about the same again towards the second half of the year for the amp upgrade.

Thanks
    Shim

2. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    yamaha cx-a5100

3. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I did briefly consider that, but at £2500 it's more than I want to spend on the processor.

4. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    How about the slightly older cxa 5000? Audiovisual may still have one in for about £1000 - £1100?

5. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    I'm currently on the hunt for another 8200ap.

6. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    It kind of demonstrates just how good value the Marantz is, when there is just no competition at the price point.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  7. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Sorry I don't follow?

8. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I mean, for under £2k, there is no other option.

Ok, there is the audiolab processor but as you said it is missing a lot key tech.

9. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I'm not sure so much whether it represents good value, as processors have just become more upmarket. It is looking like the AV7702Mk2 or nothing at the moment. I can't really stretch the budget to £2500 which seems to be the next price point.

10. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I think its more than that in this case. Whilst I haven't heard one myself, I have read a lot of peoples comments here and on AVS which rate it very closely to its big brother which is around twice the price.

To me now would be the perfect time to launch 'budget' processors, to accommodate people that are waiting for all the standards to settle down before taking the big plunge into the more high end.

11. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Is there anything around the 1k £1200 mk that has all balance outputs and not xt32

12. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Have you thought about using one of the Anthem AVRs as a processor?

13. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've been looking around, and there are some interesting offers on ex-demo receivers. I'll have to think about whether I really want hdmi 2.0a and a rethink about how I was going to do the amplification.

14. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    I've decided on not bothering with HDCP 2.2 & 2.0a in an AVR/processor just yet. I'm just gunna run 2 cables from the BDP, one direct to a processor for sound and the another direct to the TV for the pic.

Running an Anthem 310/510 as a processor for ARC with the addition of a PA (if required) isn't a bad idea. Movie Rooms has some in if you was interested.

I've settled on the Audiolab 8200ap, I'm just looking at PA ideas. I don't know whether to give the 8200x7 another try or build up with 8200p/8200m or even 8200mb.

15. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Quick update - I now have an AV7702 Mk2 sitting next to the Hi fi rack. The Rotel is getting a final play for comparison before I switch everything over.

16. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I will be interested to see how it goes.

I used to have a similar spec Rotel before switching to a Denon AVR for audyssey.

17. Ashmanuk

Ashmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I had the RSP1098 and loved it, I went from that to the Onkyo PR-SC5509 and that just blew me away in how more accurate and surround steering affects it was.

Now the Marantz AV7702 walks all over the Onkyo both in music and films and for the money I can't see what more you could want for [emoji56]

18. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594

Sooo, how did it go?

19. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Whilst i like the reply, my bank account does not :(

20. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Swapped the processors over last night, but no real comments on the performance as yet - still getting it set up. Took the opportunity to tidy up cables a bit. HTPC and Blu ray player now go via the processor, and the phono stage has become redundant.

There's a lot more set up required than the Rotel, but at least the on screen menus are a lot easier to navigate. A bit surprised the manual is only provided on CD - I had to print a couple of pages off for reference while I was connecting the cables, although the sticky labels for the cables themselves are a nice touch. Remote control is a bit fiddly with small writing on the buttons - the Rotel control was much better, but I suspect I will end up using the android remote control app most of the time.

The only disc I have tried so far has been the sacd of Dark Side of the Moon. I've been buying a few sacd recently, and part of the drive for the upgrade was to listen to the multi-channel tracks. I'm not getting a squeak out of the rear speakers though, so I missing something in the options on the processor or Blu ray. I've taken a belt and braces approach and still connected devices with both optical and HDMI cables, so I'm going to leave just the HDMI in case it is still sending just a stereo signal through the optical leads.

21. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    That's true! Got a nice discount on the processor, but it is more or less the limit of what I can justify spending on kit. I took the unusual step of buying this unheard, simply because there was nothing else in the price range though.

22. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Better progress this evening now me and Marantz both agree on the definition of rear surround speaker! In a 5.1 configuration, I should have connected the speakers to surround L+R, I had used surround Back L+R (page 41).
    Have not yet done any tuning of the system, but it is already sounding much better than the Rotel. Stereo imaging is much improved, and the Dark Side of the Moon tracking around the room put a big smile on my face!

23. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    But is it tech you would actually use if you had it, or do you just like all the boxes ticked?

I used to own the 8000AP. The sound quality was really good and the lack of tech was not a problem. Audiolab never got around to offering the promised upgrade to the 8200AP and I needed more HDMI sockets so I changed manufacturers. In order to avoid the endless stepping up the ladder, I jumped several rungs in one go to the Krell Foundation. Comparatively, the Krell does not offer all the tech either.

My point being, it is worth remembering what you really want out of your processor (or any piece of kit) as opposed to what the marketing guff would have you believe you need.

24. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    That's always a point worth considering. I had the Rotel for 10 years, and I expect to keep the Marantz for at least as long. It offers everything I need now, and I have an element of future proofing.

25. sims

sims

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Hi, what did you pay for your 7702 mkII if you don't mind me asking? Might buy one so wondering what sort of discounts are available as list price is too high for me.

26. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I was offered 10% discount just for asking - I suspect that with a bit of haggling in shop 15% would be achievable - I ended up somewhere in between the two!