Processor - Receiver or separate

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by bbanduser, Jun 5, 2004.

1. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have got an Arcam 8R/8P combo driving the front L/R and a Rotel RMB1066 driving the centre and the surrounds in a 7.1 system. The receiver (Denon 3802) is thus doing the processor and preamp duties.

Will I get any benefits out of getting a dedicated processor for the processing and preamp stages? Or should I persist with the Receiver? Will the difference(if any) be appreciable? In case I go down the processor route, how much should I expect to spend? And which make/model shoul I look out for?

I started the upgrade process because I was feeling a lack of power with the Denon,and now it has completely spiralled out of control!! :laugh:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Tell me about it :mad: , but at least I kept the 8R/8P combo for about a year! The upgrade bug has just cost me in the region of £8k :eek:

The processing on the Denon receivers is very good IMHO for the price you pay for them. To go to a dedicated processor you are looking at around £1000 minimum for the Rotel 1068 (just recently released) or going s/h and not getting the latest whistles and bells (well the 3802 is missing a few anyway).
    As to wheather you will notice any improvement, well the only way to tell is to go and demo a few processors. But TBH I would say you should stick with what you have at the moment as you have only just got it all connected and once you get used to it you may find it is good enough for you. I would suggest you give it at least a month, and then if you are not happy start the cycle of demos.

Mark.

3. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Very sound advice indeed(sorry for the pun!) Mark. To do much better than the Denon I think I would have to spend a hell of a lot of money, something that might not make it worth it.
    I will stick to the Denon for a while,and try to enjoy the system. That's what it's for,isn't it? (speaking to myself there).

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    Good advise. Now all you (and I) have to do is try to stick to it as it is easier said than done when companies keep releasing newer, better equipment :devil:

Mark.

5. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're right, it's one thing realising it and quite another doing it. The system does sound very good though, much better than about 2 months ago. I've spent about £1000 in the meantime on the fronts, and the amps,but I think it is worth it.

Let's hope I can stick to the system for a while. Cheers.

6. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Just in case I can tempt you, I have an Arcam Alpha 10/DAVE available for sale which would match pretty well with your amps, although it includes front left/right. Obviously it is pretty old technology having only DTS DD and prologic, but it does these pretty well, as you will be able to tell from your amp upgrade.

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bbanduser what do you think you are lacking with 3802 av use or 2 channel,

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had a 1066 pro, various 38xx Denons, Yamahas, several Sony's, A Rotel 1055 Receiver and currently a Marantz 7200 doing processing work. To be honest, they were all much of a muchness. The only bit that ever stood out was the Tag AV32R I used to own. That was a BIG step up but had limited features (early model). However, DPL1 sounded better than DPL2 on current low rent amps.

Of all that I've owned I think the 1066 had the best dacs (and the similar 1055) but I hated the muddy sound of the 5.1 input. The Marantz 7200 is a very close second, having a lively, detaiiled sound and the the 38xx Denons are close behind.

So, I would not bother with a cheap processor and just use the processing on a good receiver instead. That's the route I have taken after much experimentation. I have my power section sorted now. Until you can afford something like a Tag, there's little point in getting a Rotel 1066 etc.

9. bbanduser

bbanduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    At the moment I am not lacking anything. Just wondering if I would get an imrovement in getting a dedicated processor.
    Steve, I agree that I should wait till i can afford a more exensive processor.
    Does anyone think that processors are way too overpriced??

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A little, yes. The Rotel 1066 was similar in price to the 1055 which I believe was identical but with 5 amps on board! Of course, for something like a Tag or Arcam, they are fairly low volume so each customer has to pay a higher percentage of the R+D that has gone into them than for a Sony Receiver that ships 30 million units.

I'm waiting until a processor comes out that has a hi res digital input for SACD/DVD-A personally as I'd rather put money to that and use a cheaper DVD/SACD player as a transport.

Until then, I'll enjoy the user friendliness and cheapness of my 7200.

11. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have found that the pricier processors can provide good analogue by pass for stereo CD. Not all do however. I also found that soundstage space can be much improved as well as naturalness of tone and dialogue. In terms of steering and effects, I'm not sure there is an enormous difference, although others swear by the speed of TAG etc.

As with all these things there is a fairly steep diminishing returns curve, but for me it was worth it predominantly for music replay.

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    I agree completely with Peter Bakers above comments. I listen to a lot of music on my system and the processor does handle it very well IMHO.
    I'm still running in my speakers so wont really get the best out of them, and therefore be able to tell just how much of an improvement the processor/speakers are over my 3802/603's for a while.

I also agree that there is a huge gap in the market between the receivers and processors. The Rotel 1068 is about the cheapest and if like me you don't like the Rotel sound you then have to spend a fair bit more money to get anything else. IMHO a couple more makes of processors in the £1000 -£2000 is needed to fill the gap.

Mark.

13. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go on... you know you want an RSP-1068 to do the processing :)

The 106* processor range have pretty darn good stereo output as well.

I think you are talking not really discernable difference between that an a 1060/1062 stereo amp with a similar power amp.

I had a 1066 with a 970 power amp sounded identical to the 1060 intergrated that cost £550.

Steff

14. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on Mark :smashin:

John

15. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    and of course, the good old USA do have processors in this price range.

In the UK its integrated receivers/amps or Rotel and then the huge jump.

Oh well, we can but dream.

Mark.

16. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My brother just bought a very reasonable AV, Denon A11 + 3805, Bel Canto eVo 6 and KEF Reference speakers, I recomended the receiver as pre/pro because I think he would have to spend around 4 times to get a separate significantely better, not to mention it can be used elsewhere and has higher resale value, if he changes his mind... :rolleyes: