Processor / Power Amps

sounddog

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Okay ... been thinking today ...

Is there anyway I can have my power amps a significant distance away from my processor.

Been thinking that it would be ideal if I could put the rear power amps behind the sofa next to the rear speakers, then would only have short runs to each of them ... the problem would be the long distance that the signal cables will need to be.

Has anyone done this before.

I guess I could use balanced line drivers/recievers on each channel ... problem is finding some at a reasonable cost ... or building my own (not sure if Steff would trust me to do that) ... but that would involve designing circuit boards, etc, or using veroboard.

I'd been thinking of electronic convertors, but reasonable priced transformers would also be fine.

Vikki

Edit: Steff errrr can't we just use decent long phono cables?

Now.............pardon me for saying this.....................you are crying out for an active speaker setup.....

Amps tailor made/specified for the drive units being powered.

Mackie, Dynaudio, Genelec, M&K, Alesis, PMC,........etc

Search under those units............

Dont discount PRO monitors.....................

By going active........you will eliminate trying to match amp > speaker....These monitors are designed to operate with their designated amplification (and beyond)

Adzman

Vikki/Steff

I believe the long-phono/short-speaker cable set up is more popular in the states where it's not uncommon to find systems where monoblocs sit by their speakers.

There's no technical reason why not although you'll need to be looking for some pretty special interconnects as they'll need to be exceptionally low loss over distance if your delicate pre-amp signal isn't going to be significantly attenuated.

I'd have thought it could be an expensive option, if domestically appealing.

Adzman's quite right of course, but I'm sure you weren't looking to change all your gear, just where it's positioned.

Indeed you're right ... we need to buy speaker cable ... but wern't intending to buy new speakers.

Might consider giving it a go with a long length of Van Damme instrument cable from Maplins and see what happens.

Without having tried this, my instinct would be that interference in the interconnects would be more of a problem than attenuation of the signal. Make sure you have really good shielding and keep them away from power cables - run them cross-ways if you can't.

Any decent quality preamp/processor should be able to drive quite long runs of interconnect without problems other than interference as Nick mentioned.

As to Spligsey and deckard's comments re:active speakers,dont forget ATC in this context,which offer bulletproof build quality as well as high output and most importantly compared to some of the AV directed products mentioned,will also sound good with CD's and other Hifi oriented material.

Linn are also worth a look for active gear.

Thanks for the comments re long interconnects ... we either need to buy some reasonable long speaker cables, or long interconnects then shorted speaker cable ... we'll probably just be conventional and stick with long speaker cables.

As for the comments RE: active speakers ... yes they would be all very nice ... but as pointed out ... we have all the gear (well except for needing a couple more power amps) it's just how to position it best. And if we were to replace speakers to the kind of cost level of good active speakers ... I'd need a lot of convinicing not to go with B&W Nautilus. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Vikki

Edit: added smiles I missed earlier.

Am I missing something here ? :confused:

Been thinking that it would be ideal if I could put the rear power amps behind the sofa next to the rear speakers, then would only have short runs to each of them ... the problem would be the long distance that the signal cables will need to be.

The (potential) problem here is the length of the interconnects, so surely any problem that exists between pre and powers stages, would still exist between pre and active speakers?

If you are happy with the sound of your passive speakers and there is no problem between power amp and your existing speakers, I cannot see the point in changing to actives.......

Yummy Fur

Nathan's comments about the power amps and the Nautilus speakers are very true....my system has Nautilus 805's and when I initially listened to them in a dealer's very nicely appointed room,they were being driven(I use that word reservedly!)by Tag power amps,which I luckily knew the sound of,otherwise I may never have bothered taking the 805's home.

For relatively small speakers,they are a fairly difficult load,and do require not only lots of current at low frequencies,but also an amp with a lot of control.....hence I kept my Krells.

Great little speakers and excellent sound,but try them first with your amps.

I wasn't being serious about the speakers ... well not for a long time unless I can work out those elusive 6 little numbers.

Anyway ... I was thinking more of 802 all round :devil: :devil:

Vikki

LOL,Vikki.....you'll need a BIIIIG room for those to work properly!...and some equally chunky power amps.....buy now while stocks last!
:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom