Processor or HDMI Amp capable of 5.1 LPCM?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mlilliman, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello,

This looks to be quite a popular question, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for a solution.

I'm very happy with my stereo setup consisting a Naim CD5i, Densen B-110 amplifier and B&W CM1 speakers, and am looking to add three other channels (plus sub) for use with movies. My Densen can be modified to add a multi-channel soundboard and even if I don't take this path, it will drive the front L&R channels so I don't need huge reserves of amplification. I'm looking for quality of sound over quantity.

The ideal product would process DD and DTS to a high standard and support 5.1 LPCM over HDMI (leaving the PS3 to decode HD audio formats). I'd consider HDMI switching (for at least 3 sources) and 5.1 analogue multi-channel inputs as a minimum if LPCM capability isn't provided. I have recently wallmounted my plasma and plan to only run one HDMI cable to it.

The all important budget factor is £400-500. ;)

Many thanks,
    Mark

P.S. My brother now has the AV kit in my sig!

2. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I know the Onyko SR-605 will be an obvious recommendation but I'm not too concerned about HD decoding inside the amp. Something along the lines of Cyrus' Av Master 8 but with HDMI support, or an Audiolab 8000AP at closer to half the price would be tempting.

I've seen the Yamaha VX-R1700 at under £500, but am concerned that a 7.1 amp may be overkill when it will only be driving the centre and rear speakers.

3. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    I can understand your comment about the Yamaha VX-R1700 perhaps being overkill, although it's probably worth pointing out you can now buy it for under £400 now. It would appear to fit your requirements given that you get 2 hdmi source inputs, LPCM over hdmi and multichannel source input making it pretty flexible.

Robert