1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processor Mode, A85 - advice needed

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Matthew J Taylo, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Having recently aquired an A85+P85 to be used in a HIFi/AV system with a Pioneer Ax5i I've noticed that to match the gain (volume) in processor mode I need to crank it almost to the limit (currently at -12.5 db).

I'm wondering if I'm doing any damage as the Volume bar is considerably lower when listening to cd's, even when quite loud?

I'm using a relatively cheap cable (Ecosse Composer £30) between the Pio's pre-out so maybe I wouldn't need crank up the gain if I used shorter cables to connect the processor to the A85?

All comments welcomed

PS - Sounds great, especially CD's with the CD192!!

Matt

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    When you set up the volume in Proc mode all you are doing is setting the A90 to have no effective gain so that the processor does all the volume control work. -12.5 dB sounds like about the right level. So the volume level is now controled by the AV amps volume control.

You might think you are almost at the limit but 9 - 10dB is a doubling in volume so imagine how loud it would be another 9dB up.

This will not be anything to do with your cables. DVDs are recorded with there nominal dialogue level much lower than a CD so that there is loads of headroom available to do really really loud bangs and crashes.

You are not doing any damage and there is nothing wrong with your system it is just how DVDs are masteref and how you need to match the A90 to the volume level from your processor.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the advice as I was worried I may cook it when watching DVD's etc.. via the processor mode. I was looking at a 2nd hand A22 + P35 as this was rated @ 100 watts (better match for my Pioneer).

Do you have any suggestions regarding interconnects between the A85 & P85. I like a controlled base.

Cheers

Matt