Processor FRC Query

sparkz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Frame Rate Conversion is an issue for me because I seem to see it more than others. Using the iScan doesn't seem to do a very good job in this department but then again it may not do any worse than the others?

Does anyone know how the iScan does the FRC? Does it just duplicate/skip certain frames to match the output? Or does it use a more sophisticated method eg. blending of frames (I'm guessing at that one)? Do any of the other scalers have a better method for doing this?

Sort of related to this is the limitation that it can't handle multiple output formats. eg. if I have a 50Hz input use this setup and for a 60Hz input something else. I want to avoid using the FRC. Are there any processors/scalers that allow multiple output setups?

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense - I wasn't really up to speed on this before getting the iScan last week.

Thanks
Mark

I know it's expensive but would the Crystalio solve any of my problems? Any here with one who can comment?

I don't know if it handles the frame rate conversion and differently or has better output configuration. Should do at that price though!

Thanks
Mark

Guess the Crystalio is not that popular?

When questioning DVDO about ways to solve this they did mention that they were working on an update which would enable the box to automatically select 720p/50 for PAL and 720p/60 for NTSC. May be what I'm after...

Have you looked at the Lumagen range of scalers ?

They can be configured to auto switch between 50Hz and 60Hz output depending on the input.

Like you said it's best to avoid FRC when possible.

For more info on the Crystalio send Henry @ CRT projectors an email as he is the UK distributor and is very knowledgable about them :: [email protected]

And Gordon is the chap to speak to about the Lumagen :: [email protected]

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers, Lee

Thanks loonatic.

Yes I was considering a Lumagen before I went for iScan. Two things made me sway towards DVDO. 1. It was suggested to me by a retailer that the Lumagen was still a bit unstable with all the updates and all. 2. The iScan switches audio as well which makes the whole setup a lot easier (I guess I really just lazy!).

Having said that though, others do go on about the Lumagen so I guess it can't be that bad. Certainly, it seem to be often said to have slightly better picture quality. The auto select, which I wasn't aware of, for 50/60 may just well seal it.

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom