processor for 1k

mutley

Standard Member
Reaction score
Options

Meridian 561
Lexicon DC-2
Lexicon MC-1

DVD is a Pioneer 757 to be replaced for a Meridian 596 (maybe).

90% Movie Watching.

What would be the best choice?
Whay are the main advantages/disavantages of each one?

Other option?

Thanks

Originally posted by mutley
Options

90% Movie Watching.

I'm delighted with the performance of my MC-1. My usage is 90% movies, for which I use "Logic 7" over DD5.1 or DTS5.1 almost exclusively. Music is not at all bad either using "Music Logic".

Rotel 1068? Due in a couple of months.

Having owned both the DC-2 and MC-1 I would say both offer sublime movie performance. You don't get any of the bells n whistles though - I mean the niche formats such as dts es discrete etc, but Logic7 more than makes up for this.

There's also no component video switching on either of the Lexicons, and no upgrade path for either DVD-A or SACD.

As for the 561, I've heard one briefly, but not enough to comment on it really - I believe a fully loaded 561 has the additional benefit of PLII, and it's own Trifield option which - like the Lexs' - probably does a sterling job of 7.1. You'll find the 561 better for music than the Lex's too.

Probably the Meridian is the better all-rounder, the Lexicons are mainly HT processors.

As for prices, you should look to the following:

Lexicon DC-2 £800
Lexicon MC-1 £1250-£1300
Meridian 561 £900-£1000

In terms of a DC-2 / MC-1 comparison, the MC-1 looks MUCH better than the DC-2, but in reality I found there to be minimal differences in 5.1 playback. However, the MC-1 is significantly better in 2-channel stereo for music, whilst the Dc-2 is a bit of a dog. That said, if 90% of your listening is movies, I'd still be tempted to plump for the DC-2 and put the £400 odd saving elsewhere....

Just done similar upgrade but 100% for movies, not used for music at all, in the end I wanted 7.1 so decided to get a 565 or DC2 or MC1, whichever came up at the right price.

The 561 only does 5.1 unless you have Meridian DSP speakers for 2 channels when you can go 7.1. An alternative would be to add a dac to 2 channels but I think only certain ones would work.

The 561 can have a module added to take it to a 561M, can be computer setup and is still a current product, not sure for how much longer though as PLIIx hasn't been announced for it unlike the 568.2. All the others are all at the end of their development. Info: http://www.meridian.co.uk/lib_matrix.htm

An alternative is the discontinued 565 which does most of what the others do, £6-800.

If you go for a 565 make sure it is DTS with a Z3 board and V6.0 or V6.2.

Lexicon go for a DC2 or MC1 both at V4.

561 software can be upgraded from the website.

HTH

Gus

thanks,

i'm only interested in 5.1.
I'm tempted by the 561, although it's linked to more to music, and the lexicons to movie.

not sure why, but...

i sold my 2011 so need to make up a decision...

Compared to my 2011 and 3090 and other integrated amps I own or have owned the 565 is a MAJOR upgrade, although I do use very good power amps, Musical Fidelity and before that Arcam and Magnum.

Any of the pre/pros under discussion with decent powers will be a significant upgrade imho.

I was worried about losing the latest EX/ES type formats but now realise I was worried unnecessarily, meridian 7.1 and i'm now certain Logic 7 are the way to go, these guys are top of the tree as far as processing goes along with Tag, Arcam et al.

Just get the best deal you can, you can always sell on later for little or no loss, there are always people wanting this type of stuff.

Gus

Originally posted by 337GUS
you can always sell on later for little or no loss, there are always people wanting this type of stuff.

Gus

^^ Wise words...

how much is the upgrade from 561 to 561M ??

is it worth it?

thanks

thanks,

i'm only interested in 5.1.
I'm tempted by the 561, although it's linked to more to music, and the lexicons to movie.

not sure why, but...

i sold my 2011 so need to make up a decision...

Muttley.

Dont assume that the Meridian is only a music machine.

Meridian have been pioneering digital surround sound for longer than most. They make excellent movie machines too.

Adz

Original prices in dollars
561 $4,729.00
561M $5,399.00

So I guess about £450 as an aftermaket add on.

It adds :-
Module enables 96kHz MHR input
Module can be fitted to any existing 561
Improves digital input sound quality
Adds enhanced tape functionality and a headphone output
561 now updated with THX EX

Don't presume Meridian for music / Lexicon for movies. Meridian are just as experienced with movies and sound brilliant. I've heard most of the stuff available in demo's now, on Friday I was listening to a G68/G98, a Rotel 1098/Rotel Power combo and also a Tag system with my own powers and speakers and also Arcam 88 DVD. The 565 was not disgraced in any major way.

Gus

Originally posted by 337GUS
Friday I was listening to a G68/G98

Blimey, they're pretty difficult to track down.

Impressions?

Adz

All this is bearing in mind that I have no interest in the music/2 channel/bypass capability of the pre/pro's. All I require is an add on AV processor to my HiFi to share the front speakers and power amps. Daren't even contemplate the active speaker or DSP speaker route, what an upheaval ;) mmmm

PLUS IT'S ALL IMHO.

I'm waiting for a home demo before I decide. I can say, unsurprisingly considering the price difference, that the G68 slaughtered the 1098 and that Rotel are ruled out of any future plans, this is not the first listen of Rotel by the way, good for the price but not for me.

If you want all the new formats, to buy new from a dealer with full backup, and have a max budget of £2300 then consider the 1098, all I will say is that you are in reach of an ex dem AV8, Tag and 568.

Both myself and my better half were less than impressed with the 1098, for the price I expected much more. The soundstage seemed narrow, almost shut in, the back channels in Gladiator and LOTRFR seemed really lacking.

The Tag AV32 7.1 (not DP) as ever was very precise, the shop were getting rid of their Tag dealership so were keen for me to listen to it in the hope of offloading it I suppose. It wasn't the DP which I haven't demoed, but I have the AV192 twice, this would be the one I would go for if it wasn't for the other options now available and after all their (Tag's) upheavals, I just do not feel confident going down that route.

Unfortunately the G98 failed almost at the start of the demo, not very reassuring for a £3.5K bit of kit, but I will be giving it another go in March hopefully, and then at home.

Later this year I am getting a plasma and hope to arrange an extended home demo of the G68 and poss the new Linn stuff.

I have the feeling that a 568.2 may be on the cards as soon as one comes up at a nice price, the 565 has opened my ears to what I should be aiming for having sat on the fence for so long.

Gus

i have a 561 on dem at present. its replaced my 3803 and its a huge upgrade in sound quality, imaging, detail - everything. for me, its 50/50 music/movies. in fact its probably more like 70/30. i value music reproduction above movie slam - in fact i would rather have movies reproduced correctly than excessively. the denon 3803 just about manages to reproduce audio, and thats with outboard power amps!

the 561M has the latest firmware on it, can do PL2, DD, DTS and THX processing. I have found its bass management to be one of the most pleasing things. I have integrated all my speakers, BFD'd the subs - it actually makes me smile now :) - listening to Norah Jones in concert I can now hear things I didn't know where there before. Movie presentation is equally thrilling. In The Life of David Gale, dialogue is clearer and more lifelike than with the 3803 (not hard), but its the soundstage thats impressive. As sound moves between speakers, front and back, its a seamless motion that has you totally involved in the movie on screen. All this is with analogue amps and speakers in 5.1 mode only btw.

Two channel music is as I want.. that fabulous, gorgeous, lushous meridian sound i have come to love from my 506 is carried forward in stereo mode with the 561. I could use direct mode, but I lose my sub integration and corrected room acoustics. I have tried trifield and music mode, but my centre channel doesn't work with my BFD'd subs as well as the two mains do, so it sounds 'correct' in stereo mode which suits me fine.

I'm 95% sure I will buy this processor.. it is really really nice. The only downside to it that I can see is its noise floor. I'm not sure if its the same for similar processors, DC-2, MC-1 etc, but its noticeable even in my listening position, an amount of hiss, in any mode, that it generates. But I think I can live with that, its quiet enough not to intrude on music or quiet scenes.

I went from a 3802 to an A1-SE onto a lexicon DC-1 (v4 upgraded dacs) with Parasound amp.
When I was changing to an MC-1 I had the chance to get a 561 for £900 as oppossed to the £1300 or so that I was going to pay for the Lexicon, not only was it better than the MC-1 (imho) but the saving allowed me to upgrade the power amp too.

The Meridian kit is something else, once set up you only ever need to touch the input button and volume, you can assign just about everything to exactly how you like it.

In the end I spent twice as much and went for a 568.2 and a parasound 2205 but unless some new format is realesed that is a must have, not half a dozen 10.2 discs but a format I really must have that will genuinly improve what i have, then I reckon the 568.2 will be with me for a few years.

what amp are you using though ?? this makes as much of a difference as the processor imho.

Right I'm going to get aboard this Meridian Luuuurve train!! :smashin:

I've had my 565 for a quite a while now and to cut a long story short if I could get it to walk down the isle I'd marry it!! Best £750 I've ever spent and apart from my Servo 15 the biggest smile inducing part of my setup. Actually after recent bargains most of my setup is smile inducing now but the Meridian even more so.

hi, in the end i went for the 561M - 1000£

but haven't heard it cause don't have a power amp yet... :(

I'm deciding between Parasound's 2205 vs Halo A52.

I can't wait to hear the difference towards my (just sold) Pioneer 2011...

hi, in the end i went for the 561M - 1000£

but haven't heard it cause don't have a power amp yet... :(

I'm deciding between Parasound's 2205 vs Halo A52.

I can't wait to hear the difference towards my (just sold) Pioneer 2011...

I have had a parasound 855a (85w) and now have a 2205, there is a definite jump but I also heard a 1205 and that was pretty close to the 2205, in the end though I got a new 2205 for £1000 so it was a no brainer, but I believe www.crtprojectors.co.uk still have some new 1205's for around £850 which is a stonking buy and will make your 2011 look a little wimpy ;)

Good price for a brand new 1205. Doubt they'll last long...

do you think the 1205 would be much better than the Rotel 1075?

i think thar 1205 would suit me just fine. (though the halo is gorgeaus).

my current speakers don't ask for the extra power of the 2205 (B&W 602 S3; LCR 600; Sonance RS1).

i can get a 1205 here for a little less, but an ex-demo one...

I chose the 855a over the 1075 and i had them both in my demo room for a week, only took about an hour to decide though. And the 2205 is a good jump over the 855 so I would say so.

How much is the 1025 demo going for ???

800£

but for me the 1205 new will be more like 950-1000£ (postage to portugal)

If that is the case I would give Henry a call at crtprojectors and see if he can do a bit of a deal with postage as he ships crts around Europe so a 1205 will be light compared with some of those beasts ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom