1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processor advice

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by grey torq, Aug 14, 2005.

1. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've got the upgrade bug, I currently use a Denon 3803 as a processor but I would like to go to a proper standalone processor.

I was hoping to spend less than £1000 and pick up something good second hand, I've just watched a Lexicon Mc-1 with version 4 s/w get bid up to £1,040 on ebay!
    Is this for real? Is a 5 year old lexicon comparable to an Arcam AVP700 @ £1400 brand new?

I guess I'll keep a look out for tag 32R's , I would go for the new Arcam but the emphasis on how well it does as a 2-channel preamp puts me off - I don't give a monkeys about stereo/preamp analogue performance as I have a seperate hi-fi system for listening to music. I need a processor that does 7.1 DD/DTS better than a Denon 3803 but it's proving more tricky than I thought.

Any advice on stuff I may have overlooked?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
  3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    The MC1 is fantastic but you should be able to pick one up for less than grand. One recently went on the other UK av message board (the one we can't post the address of!) for £500. Don't let these cheap prices make you think they're not good though. Lexicon did some kind of trade in deal when the MC8 and 12 came out and sold all the traded in MC1'S through official dealers for £1500 which of course dropped the second hand private sale value down big time.

The only two things that I would say let down the MC1 is the lack of component switching and for music it can't match my Arcam C30 pre-amp. Moviewise it's a steal!

4. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Meridian 568, got mine for £895 recently but seen them go for £7-800 on ebay. Performance is of the stellar variety and it can be upgraded to a 568.2 for around £700 so gives you options for the future. What power amp will you use?

5. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Using a rotel 1066 for the center and surronds but am moving to MF 120pc for front left and right. Not sure if MF amplification will suite home cinema too well but it should have plenty of atmosphere and detail. The meridian might be a better match than the lex.
    I'm not in any hurry so I can afford to be patient.
    Has anyone compared a Maridian 568 with a lex mc1 what characterises their cinema performance?

6. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    See my sig.

I've got a Rotel pre/power and a MF Stereo amp works a treat.

Just make sure you get an amp with a processor/home cinema/whatever they want to call it function. So that you don't have to keep trying to change the volume on the Stereo Amp to match the level of your A/V setup.

For example on the A308 i've got it's Aux2.

7. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Go for a tag av32r, great with music and movies

8. spiver

spiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You could try and hunt down a used Myryad MDP500 G6. If sound quality is your thing then they are simply great at everything IMHO. Well worth going over budget for. I have seen one go for around £1100 on eBay over the past few months.
    I`ve had one for a year or so and couldn`t be happier with it. :smashin:

9. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the advice.

But I have to say the Denon 1906 at £320 has pl2x and all the latest chips and used as a processor looks outstanding value for money.

Especially when my 3803 will raise something on ebay.

I'd like to see this using the Arcam P1000 as an amp compared against Arcams AVP700 will the difference justify £1080?

Contraversial!

10. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well I've been patient but I've taken the plunge.

I managed to pick up a lexicon MC-1 off ebay for £700 which is still slightly more than I would have liked but the previous 2 went for 1040 and 850 respectively, so I may have been lucky.

I have to admit I have spent most of my time listening to CD's through my new MF amps because they sound sublime.

However my first impressions of the Lex compared to my old Denon 3803(as a processor) are as follows.

1. People say how easy the set up is on the lex - I would hate to have to set up a Meridian, I'm not saying it's difficult but you can change so many aspects you need to take a lot of time to get it right. When dealing with this kind of kit I don't think you could tell anything from a demo in a shop because the setup can make such large differences.
    I went for large speakers L/R, 120 Hz on the centre and 40 Hz on the surrounds and subwoofer with eq off and bass enhance off.
    This gave me a clean dynamic sound with plenty of atmosphere and fast rich bass when required.

2. The biggest difference is the bass management which is superb on the lex really natural deep and directional.

3. The voices are locked to the centre with very natural clarity.

4. The effects steering is better with a more enveloping surround presence - with more detail.

5. Logic 7 is impossible - you have to hear it to believe it, it is most impressive on 2 channel sources which are magically made to sound like 7.1 soundtracks, particularly the bass - where does that come from?

6. Music logic on concert/video DVDs that only have DD2.0 soundtracks are really impressively made to sound very musical almost cd quality.

OK I would say this, however I could get my money back right now off ebay but believe me this lex isn't going anywhere until I can afford an MC-4 or Meridian 568.2

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    There you are you see, yet another who has found that old but quality kit will outperform new, shiny bells and whistles stuff. It's about concentrating on the basic's which in engineering terms really haven't moved that much. Surround programs and DSP's will always follow a fashion, good quality engineering, application and output is a constant.

12. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I found my MC1 a little complicated after my Denon 3300 but after you've lived with it for a while it starts to seem pretty straightforward. Glad you're happy with it!