1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processor advice please!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by NikosF, Mar 31, 2005.

1. NikosF

NikosF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm just getting back into Home Theater after a multi-year break (was travelling and most things were in storage). Getting a plasma has got me going again on HT.

I've got a reasonable stereo setup that I want to keep as the heart of my system (BAT CD, BAT pre-amp, Atma-Sphere monoblock OTL amps and B&W Nautilus 805 speakers). Speakers will be upgraded one of these days - but staying for now. BAT pre-amp can have one of its inputs as fixed gain (regardless of volume) so can do quite a good job for main L and R.

From my old HT days, I have a Rotel 5-channel amp, a B&W CDM center speaker (all from circa 1998/9) and can rustle up some surround speakers.

I would like a new processor that can act as a pre-pro for my home theater. I would like component video (and RGB and composite) switching. Must do all the latest sound formats (DD 6.1, DTS, etc.), be flexible (lots of ins and outs) and do things like lip-sync delay correction.

I don't want to spend a lot of money (broke after the plasma), and if possible get something good (but not great) with the idea of upgrading in a few years.

Any suggestions at different price points. So much has changed in the last six years since I was up on all this stuff).

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How about just spending £1000.00 RRP (should be able to get 10% off) and getting the Rotel RSP-1068 processor.

There are lots of higher end ones but this is a great processor you can plumb the Bat in for Front L & R, and then use the 5 channel Rotel Power Amp to run all the other channels.

Cheers

Steff

3. NikosF

NikosF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Steff - I did see that on Rotel's website (and it's big brother!). Seems like a good choice. Ideally I'd spend a *little* less than 900-1000 quid right now :) (I want it all)

4. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Take a serious look at the NAD T163 - it does an excellent job with all the current surround sound formats and is also a great stereo performer.

5. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    There are lots of 2nd hand TAG AV32Rs around at the moment for bargain basement prices. No component switching but does everything else you require and they are very, very good.