Procella Audio Speaker Thread

My P28 has arrived, a lot bigger and much heavier than the P6 is replacing, but still shallow enough to fit behind my AT screen, hopefully later. I will centre the left and right P6 up with the P28 acoustic centre.

Attachments

• D6DD6AD9-66F1-4DE6-A1FB-C4C1F591BAAB.jpeg
    D6DD6AD9-66F1-4DE6-A1FB-C4C1F591BAAB.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 233
My P28 has arrived, a lot bigger and much heavier than the P6 is replacing, but still shallow enough to fit behind my AT screen, hopefully later. I will centre the left and right P6 up with the P28 acoustic centre.
You’re even further away than @fatboy frank 😀

Perhaps, but seems like everyone in the UK headed to Cornwall on vacation this year? So you never know!
Would that be via Dorset ? ;) it was manic on the roads yesterday picking mine up :mad:

Left to Right: P5V, P6VMK11, P8

Yes i should of wiped the P5V down before i took the pictures :facepalm:
20210605_165835.jpg
20210605_165732.jpg

20210605_165646.jpg

Only got the side surrounds mounted at the moment as had to make some adjustments/modifications to the VESA mount for the right speaker ........ Dremel Multitool saves the day :thumbsup:

Like Mark - I’m interested in procella too. It would be P8s for LCR, P6V for surround duties and P5iw for atmos. Not sure where you can demo them in East Anglia and the South East. I emailed one dealer in Chelmsford who didn’t respond......

Not sure how far you want to travel, but if you are still looking, we have a procella system we can demo on the south coast. Mainly based around P5s though, but with support of P10si, and other subwoofers.

I'm considering either Procella Audio or MK Sound for my HT rebuild.

I am only interested in HT (not music) - how would the P6 for LCR and P5 or P6 for surrounds compare to the MK S300 and 300T combination?

A possible influence to my buying decision is that the S300/300T combination is about 15% higher than the P6/P5 combination but around 8% cheaper than a full P6 set up. My room is 5.4m x 4.2m.

What do you suggest I should I do:)?

I'm considering either Procella Audio or MK Sound for my HT rebuild.

I am only interested in HT (not music) - how would the P6 for LCR and P5 or P6 for surrounds compare to the MK S300 and 300T combination?

A possible influence to my buying decision is that the S300/300T combination is about 15% higher than the P6/P5 combination but around 8% cheaper than a full P6 set up. My room is 5.4m x 4.2m.

What do you suggest I should I do:)?
I would start by listening to each system if that can be done locally. What are you using for a processor, amps etc?

In my personal experience I went for the Procella P6 / P5 system as I thought that it offered the dynamics required in a cinema system, together with the musicality you need for both cinema and music.

Procella and M&K use different technology to achieve the end result and I personally think that the compression driver in the Procella is the better approach to reproduce high resolution soundtracks but also the clean audio at higher volume levels with very little distortion compared to overdriven dome tweeters.

However I haven't heard M&K in a long time, since they were the original Miller & Kreisel company, so can't comment on how they sound now.

Thx for your thoughts callahan.

I intend to get an Altitude as my new processor. My L&R amp is a local Australian manufacturer (SGR Audio) while my other channels will be powered by a pair of Integra Research RDA 7.1s.

I am hoping I can demo both systems albeit the Procella Audio will use their larger speakers in a dedicated demo room with a Trinnov while the MK is a private residence using a Marantz 8805 so the comparisons will not be like for like.

No problem. You should still be able to get a good idea of the differences between the brands and their approach, so hopefully it will help.

Good call on the Altitude, it's a great partner for Procella.

Have you spoken to the importer in Australia? I think Gerben (one of the founders) is based there. He appears on the AVS Forum for Procella a fair bit.

Thx for your thoughts callahan.

I intend to get an Altitude as my new processor. My L&R amp is a local Australian manufacturer (SGR Audio) while my other channels will be powered by a pair of Integra Research RDA 7.1s.

I am hoping I can demo both systems albeit the Procella Audio will use their larger speakers in a dedicated demo room with a Trinnov while the MK is a private residence using a Marantz 8805 so the comparisons will not be like for like.
Unfortunately the only way to get a fair comparison is to get a home demo of both makes of speakers, however, if you are considering getting a Trinnov 16/32 you really can't go wrong with the Procella speakers, they seem to be a very popular pairing and almost like an unofficial partner of Trinnov.

The founding partner of Procella Audio; Gerben Van Duyl lives in Australia (Sydney) you might be able to reach out to him.

Also Andrew or Enzo from HTE Home Theatre Engineering another Australian company that may be able to advise you.

Edit:
See @callahan beat me to it suggesting you contact Gerben :facepalm:

Thx fatboy frank - some reading for me tonight in bed (which is now:))
Yeah i know ....... my parents live in Rosebud :)
Happy reading.

Procella and M&K are both neutral sounding speakers and offer similar performance. They also both offer different options from tripoles to the bigger Procella systems.

We are hosting a Procella demonstration this weekend for the op.

I had the pleasure of hearing a set of Procellas @burtonpark last weekend. Personally if i were to do it again I would look to Procella, they remain clean at very high volume and have that cinematic sound im not sure a dome tweeter can match, my klipsch ultra 2 system is close but compression sets in before the Procellas.
If you have the budget these are fantastic speakers for a home theatre.

Is anyone using P5's for their 5.x/7.x system and if so how are you finding them as opposed to larger P6's.?

Procella design their speakers around the listening distance (and length of the room, but less so) so it depends more on that than anything else.

They say that all their speakers are voiced the same, so get the right speakers for the distance to the main listening position and you're sorted.

How far away are they going to be?

I use P5Vs for my surround speakers and Atmos in ceiling (P5iw) and they're great, but the P6 were the right option for my listening distance for the fronts.

Just over 3.5 metres: P5 series will give THX levels up to 2m, 'Standard Level' up to 3m; P6 is THX to 2m, 'Standard' to 4m. For full THX levels you need the P8 but that's quite a step up.

'Standard Level' is 98db as opposed to 105db for THX - both pretty loud!

LCR roughly 12ft from MLP and rears approx 4ft.

We have the P5/P5V running as LCR in our demo room. I will email you some documentation that will explain more of what @callahan has described.

Just over 3.5 metres: P5 series will give THX levels up to 2m, 'Standard Level' up to 3m; P6 is THX to 2m, 'Standard' to 4m. For full THX levels you need the P8 but that's quite a step up.

'Standard Level' is 98db as opposed to 105db for THX - both pretty loud!
Is there a chart to help choose?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom