Procella Audio Speaker Thread

callahan

the biggest obstacle to upgrading is being able to sell existing gear at a reasonable price
up till now I have been fortunate, but not every dealer accepts trade ins
I am sure the wife could be swayed by a trip to Amsterdam to demo Procella

Definitely - fly to Amsterdam Friday morning for a demo then stay for the weekend and see the sights.
I would have done this if not for Covid restrictions last year, but went for the Procella system anyway and love it.

burtonpark

Definitely - fly to Amsterdam Friday morning for a demo then stay for the weekend and see the sights.
I would have done this if not for Covid restrictions last year, but went for the Procella system anyway and love it.
@Lesmor Sounds like an expensive shopping weekend ahead…Speakers for you and a Diamond Sweetener for the Wife too! 😱

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
@fatboy frank as per your suggestion and having read through the Procella system design guide
one confusing aspect is the conflict of the normal standard recommendation of having tweeters at ear height, which in my case is 900mm, compared to Procella recommending 5/8 of screen height which for me would be 1600mm

keeping surrounds at the same 1600 horizontal plane would drastically reduce my bed and height separation

with that is mind have Procella owners followed the guide or done their own thing?

burtonpark

@fatboy frank as per your suggestion and having read through the Procella system design guide
one confusing aspect is the conflict of the normal standard recommendation of having tweeters at ear height, which in my case is 900mm, compared to Procella recommending 5/8 of screen height which for me would be 1600mm

keeping surrounds at the same 1600 horizontal plane would drastically reduce my bed and height separation

with that is mind have Procella owners followed the guide or done their own thing?
@Lesmor , the 5/8 recommendation seemed too high to me as well, when your screen starts 65cm off the floor, however also ear height behind the screen felt a a bit too low for my situation, so I’ve done my own thing.

my visible screen bottom is 65cm from the floor
my visible screen height is 152cm

I’ve set my bed height as a balance with consideration to
the physical restrictions of my room
the down angled waveguide focus of the P6
the seat back heights affecting how low the rears can be set.
plus considering the screen centre Height (1300)

I’ve set the acoustic centres of my P6 as follows
wides 1200
surround 1200 2m to MLP
Rear 1500

Left, Right 1300 (ie 50%) 3.2m to MLP
Centre 1250

My rational for setting the LEFT RIGHT and CENTRE height slightly higher than surround bed was because they are further from the MLP and to locate them in the middle of the screen, However, When I next rearrange behind the screen I am going to drop those down a bit so level with the surrounds, as the Trinnov reads them a bit high.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member

First thing i'd say is ...... it's a guide, nothing saying you have to follow it to the nth degree!

As for having tweeters at ear height, remember we're talking about compression drivers and not dome tweeters here, also this must depend on the dispersion pattern/waveguide used as not all of Procella's speakers use the same waveguide.

I guess in an ideal world in a dedicated room, a baffle wall is preferable, however, i and i guess many others don't have that luxury, mine are in my living room and as such i have limitations as to where i can realistically place them. My L&R P8's are just above mid height of my 65" OLED with the centre being as close to the base of my screen as i can place it. My P6V MK2's are pretty much in the exact same position as my original side & rear surrounds were, due to the speaker wires being channelled into the wall. Probably nowhere near ideal placement, but it's the best i can do within the constraints of my living room.

burtonpark

@Lesmor , Also, as Procella themselves demonstrate in there 2018 ISE room, it Isn’t always possible to position speakers as per Dolby recommendations, note here the P8LCR are above the screen and the surrounds are clearly higher than ear height,

burtonpark

Happy New Year to all !

Ringnut

Distinguished Member
@Lesmor , Also, as Procella themselves demonstrate in there 2018 ISE room, it Isn’t always possible to position speakers as per Dolby recommendations, note here the P8LCR are above the screen and the surrounds are clearly higher than ear height,

Surely the LCR are behind the screen and those are front height speakers?

burtonpark

Surely the LCR are behind the screen and those are front height speakers?
Those are P8’s The description states they were the LCR and it’s a solid screen

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Why cant you do a demo here?

Just to be clear. We do have a demo system of P5 (and Vs), P10si, and P1s in the UK (looking at changing to the P6 for the front 3 in the near future) linked to a Trinnov which should give an indication of sound, but at the higher levels of speaker you will need to go to Amsterdam.

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
Just to be clear. We do have a demo system of P5 (and Vs), P10si, and P1s in the UK (looking at changing to the P6 for the front 3 in the near future) linked to a Trinnov which should give an indication of sound, but at the higher levels of speaker you will need to go to Amsterdam.
How do they compare to the krix?

StephanG

Ah ok! Is there a price listing?
If you're only looking for prices to have an idea about price ranges, you can always look up TheRock in Sweden, they have retail price lists online. Usual rules apply (final price up to negotiation + whatever your local distributor adds). If you're really serious and willing to travel in addition to the Netherlands already mentioned you can also go to Sweden. Their demo room has 3x P610, 14x P5V, 2x P18, 2x P15 with Procella amps and Altitute 32. Image is 4.5m wide with JVC Z1 (walk in and demo). They also have an external demo room which they can set up as needed with the brands they carry (contact them).

If you're willing to travel and can wait until march (and covid permits) they have a fair with several manufacturers/distributers showing the usual stuff like Procella, JBL, M&K, Ascendo, Focal, Genelec, Wisdom, Sony, Epson, Trinnov, Samsung and so on (more info here: Hemmabiomässan 2022 – The Rock Hemmabio).

Jase

Distinguished Member
For anyone interested @30CenturyMan mentioned he'd be putting up his four black P5V's and eight white P5's for sale soon.

Jase

Distinguished Member
@Topmetom 2 @Lesmor

Heads up! :smashin:

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
@Topmetom 2 @Lesmor

Heads up! :smashin:

My only concern as they are 5, is are they similar in sound to the 1723s i have? I.e is it an upgrade or would you need 6’s?

Jase

Distinguished Member
My only concern as they are 5, is are they similar in sound to the 1723s i have? I.e is it an upgrade or would you need 6’s?

I won't be much use to you Phil as I've not heard either brand. Need to find a member who has compared Procella to Arendal.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces new Kann Max DAP and Pathfinder earphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones