Procella Audio Speaker Thread

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
As there doesn't appear to be one, i thought i'd start a thread for Procella Audio Speakers Procella Audio manufacturer of Home Cinema Loudspeakers

So who are Procella Audio ?

Find out here The Procella Audio Story, high quality Home Cinema speakers systems for professionals and consumers

The purpose of this thread is for other enthusiasts/owners/prospective owners to discuss and share their experiences of all of the Procella Audio offerings, which includes a range of in wall/on wall and free standing speakers, also an interesting range of subwoofers that complement and can even be attached to their speakers thus making them full range. They offer subs that are very small compared with other manufacturers, both active and passive versions are available with bespoke amplification with built in DSP tailored specifically for their speakers/subwoofers.

My journey into ownership of Procella started after i became the owner of a Trinnov Altitude 16 ....... "if Calsberg made a Reference immersive sound AV Processor", this would probably be it! :laugh:

I had been thinking about upgrading my speakers which at that time were; XTZ Cinema Series M8's (On Wall) LCR with 4 x XTZ Cinema Series M6's as Side & Rear Surrounds in a basic 7.2 system with Dual PSA S1811 Subs. This was a pretty decent setup with really good quality sound, however, as with most of us AV enthusiasts, i felt i was missing something. I'd looked at ATC Active speakers, which i was very impressed with ....... but just couldn't accommodate a 7 speaker setup that consisted of floor standers and stand mounts in my living room, i really needed/wanted wall mountable speakers like the XTZ's, but something that would be a considerable upgrade especially for music.

So i started looking at various other wall mountable speakers, ATC HTS, M&K, Dali, Klipsch et al ........... i eventually discovered Procella Audio, which looked interesting.

Procella seemed to be very highly regarded in the US and appeared to be the speaker of choice in a lot of High End installations, Peter Jackson (Film Director) commissioned his own private cinema designed and built around Procella speakers, which seemed to be a pretty good endorsement to me :thumbsup:

Further research/investigation also seemed to indicate that there has been considerable collaboration between Trinnov and Procella in the design of the Cedia HQ Demo Room Procella Helps Create ‘The Best Demo Room In The World’ At CEDIA HQ

So that was enough for me..............i jumped in totally blind as we were now in the midst of the Covid-19 Pandemic and getting an actual demo was pretty much impossible.

So after a bit of pontificating, i eventually parted with some hard earned £££££££'s and ordered 3 x Procella Audio P8's for LCR duties and opted for 4 x Procella Audio P5V's for side & rear surrounds. Fantastic service, they arrived direct from the distributor to my place the next day, less than 24 hours after i'd ordered them.
Must admit this made me smile a little, as i recall when i first ordered my XTZ Cinema Series setup ( M6's LCR, S5's side surrounds and S2's as rear surrounds, with dual 1 x12 subs) this was a pre order as they hadn't gone into production at the time and there wasn't a UK distributor then. I waited nearly a year from placing my order before i actually took delivery of the XTZ's :eek:

So nearly 3 months into ownership, i must admit i'm very impressed with the speakers, the P8's gave me a bit of a problem fitting them, as i wasn't able to put the centre in the ideal position, in line with the L&R P8's, as my TV needs to be raised a couple of inches to accommodate this, which unfortunately i'm unable to do on my own.

Luckily the magic of the Trinnov Optimizer and speaker re-mapping has done a pretty good job compensating for this and i'm very happy with the results.
Boy do these speakers play very loud and clean with no hint of distortion whatsoever. I always wanted to try speakers with compression drivers and waveguides but was a little bit worried as i've read many times that speakers with compression drivers can sound a bit harsh/shrill ........ thankfully that's not the case with these, which is no doubt testament to Procellas design and build philosophy, the guys behind Procella knew what they were doing as they'd been designing speakers to meet DTS requirements back in 2005, which at the time no such speaker existed.......... it was from this that the brand Procella Audio was born.

That's it for now, it's very early hours of the morning now......... and i can hear my bed calling :zonked:

Not very exciting, but have added a couple of pictures.
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-24 at 14.31.40.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-24 at 14.33.04.jpeg

For anyone interested in Procella speakers i have added the contact details below:

United Kingdom / Ireland | Sales Agent​

Sales agent
Anyone looking at the Procella line of speakers would be advised to have a read of the following document as it contains a wealth of useful information:

Procella Audio System Design & Installation

Last edited:

mkohman

Distinguished Member
Fantastic idea in creating this thread Shane and glad you are enjoying the P8's as LCR and P5V's as surrounds :thumbsup:

Procella Audio Speakers are state of the art and well paired with Trinnov Altitude Processors. I have heard the duo together several times, most recently at ISE 2020 in Amsterdam and they are truly incredible speakers, especially for a cinematic experience with movies! Great choice :smashin:

Here are a couple of photos from ISE 2020:

IMG_20200213_094736.jpg
IMG_20200213_094746.jpg
IMG_20200213_094759.jpg
IMG_20200213_095147.jpg
IMG_20200213_095153.jpg
IMG_20200213_095223.jpg
IMG_20200213_095404.jpg

Last edited:

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Also a fantastic Interview by Shane from Spare Change with Chuck Back from Procella Audio 👍

Must admit i think Chuck needs to work on his technique, he seemed a bit nervous, like a rabbit caught in the headlights! :laugh:

mkohman

Distinguished Member
Must admit i think Chuck needs to work on his technique, he seemed a bit nervous, like a rabbit caught in the headlights! :laugh:
Yes it does seem like that :laugh:, although I think he may have been a little nervous about the whole YouTube interview thing and seemed a little frustrated when he was having difficulties with screen sharing :facepalm:

burtonpark

@fatboy frank , A Procella thread is overdue and a great idea, I heard Trinnov and Procella combination at ISE 2018 and immediately knew I loved the results. My setup is similar to yours dedicated room with Altitude 16 in 9.3.4 layout with P6 for all 9 bed speakers, 4 x p5v as heights, 2xsb16 pro subs at front and one P10 Procella balancing sub. My LCR are Behind an AT screen though!

in the webinars Trinnov state they have recommended PEQ filters for Procella speakers, I’ve not yet managed to obtain these for the P6 and P5, Is this something you’ve found or tried?

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
@fatboy frank , A Procella thread is overdue and a great idea, I heard Trinnov and Procella combination at ISE 2018 and immediately knew I loved the results. My setup is similar to yours dedicated room with Altitude 16 in 9.3.4 layout with P6 for all 9 bed speakers, 4 x p5v as heights, 2xsb16 pro subs at front and one P10 Procella balancing sub. My LCR are Behind an AT screen though!

in the webinars Trinnov state they have recommended PEQ filters for Procella speakers, I’ve not yet managed to obtain these for the P6 and P5, Is this something you’ve found or tried?
I'm only 7.2 in my living room, but even so i'm still loving the Trinnov / Procella combination :thumbsup:

I have tried PEQ Filters for the P8's, they can be downloaded direct from Procella ....... if you know where to look ......... Here Downloads for all Procella Audio Home Cinema loudspeaker products not sure if they have them for P6 and P5 though.

burtonpark

I'm only 7.2 in my living room, but even so i'm still loving the Trinnov / Procella combination :thumbsup:

I have tried PEQ Filters for the P8's, they can be downloaded direct from Procella ....... if you know where to look ......... Here Downloads for all Procella Audio Home Cinema loudspeaker products not sure if they have them for P6 and P5 though.
Thanks, these files seem focused on the Procella subs and speaker stacks, eg 610,810 which I suppose is to be expected, however I may have a play once my upgrade to install a Baffle wall and new DIY AT screen is complete ....always something to tinker with or spend on with this hobby!

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Yep great idea to start a thread on Procella.
Fantastic speakers.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
The look very nice but the prices are not wife friendly.
Not an issue ........ i got divorced several years ago :thumbsup:
Best AV upgrade i've done to date :rotfl:

Saul Goodman

Distinguished Member
Nice write up Shane, but where are your pictures?

Where did you buy them from? A friend of mine has been considering an upgrade from his MK speakers for a while and was looking at Procella.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Nice write up Shane, but where are your pictures?

Where did you buy them from? A friend of mine has been considering an upgrade from his MK speakers for a while and was looking at Procella.
Added a couple of pictures, nothing too exciting though ......... but i do like how the P8's look on the wall compared to my XTZ M8's, so much neater and smaller too with absolutely no loss of output or quality. The M8's were very good but the P8's are so much clearer/cleaner in their presentation.

Still want to raise the TV slightly so that i can put the centre on a custom built shelf rather than leaving it on the AV cabinet. Like the P8's, the P5V's are much smaller and neater than the XTZ M6's they've replaced ......... if i had a wife/partner they'd have a much higher WAF than the XTZ's

Have still to hear them at their best due to living in a top floor apartment/flat .... and i do have to give some consideration to my neighbours. Like the Trinnov Altitude 16, these are for me an
endgame speaker and purchased partly in anticipation of an eventual move into a more suitably shaped room without the difficulties i currently have and hopefully a detached property so i can crank them up a bit :thumbsup:

Last edited:

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
They look great and smaller than I thought :thumbsup:

I may be joining you with a Trinnov, having a home demo soon.
For comparison, here's the M8's
Front View XTZ M8's LCR.jpeg

P8's in same position.
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-24 at 14.31.40.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom