Proceed AVP a good buy?

Matt Horne said:
I'll let you know if I think its a bargain once its up and running... most expensive blind buy ever for me !

You'll love it Matt, great processor.

You need to look for a top notch CD player now though, or an excellent DAC! ;)

No no more!!!

The DV88+ will have to do for now..(Famous last words :) )
Though with the 6 channel inputs I'll have to get a DVD-A/SACD player as well ;)

Matt

You really need to try a proper DAC with that Arcam. Something like a Musical Fidelity Trivista. ;)

Or a Mark Levinson 360?
54.gif

this is a great buy !

whats the story on any faults/problems on this gear ?

Path Premier used to be the main importer but I thought they closed due to supply problems on ML gear.

Having said that, their web-site appears to be up & running .......

gizlaroc said:
I think being realistic you would get £1000 tops for it Peter, I know it is up there with processors costing £5k, but it is older and you know how fickle people are if it deosn't do PLIIxVweR whatever!

And also we know who else is going to be selling his for a grand very soon too!? :)

When I let mine go I'll be after £1k ovno, otherwise I'll happily keep it for a second system!

What impresses me at least as much as the sound quality is the absolutely superb construction and finish. Everything from the front panel buttons, the metal volume knob, the dimmable orange LEDs/display and the rear panel connectors just oozes class. Actually it's the best looking piece of electronics I've owned to date. The refreshingly small and simple remote is also a joy to use.

Godfather said:
What impresses me at least as much as the sound quality is the absolutely superb construction and finish. Everything from the front panel buttons, the metal volume knob, the dimmable orange LEDs/display and the rear panel connectors just oozes class. Actually it's the best looking piece of electronics I've owned to date. The refreshingly small and simple remote is also a joy to use.

Picture please Henry ! :D

Hi Guys
Well, my AVP-S is now in the classifieds, so anyone interested in finding out just how good this pre/pro is has a rare opportunity to do so

on a more general note, some of these 'old' processor make great buys currently for quality vs value, cracking bargains to be had...

Can you believe the day my bryston arrives I go into hospital for a op! Anyhow back now.. basically just plugged it in and set my speakers(before I went in I might add).. not had the chance to set anything else up...

OH MY GOD it sounds superb even when just watching the tv.. its like the curtains have rolled back..

When I am up and about more I'll set it up properly but so far very very pleased. The tag will be up for sale shortly I think :)

Cheers

Matt

Matt I hope it wasn't anything too serious or painful. It's good to have some incentive to get out of bed!

Kidney Stones.. nuff said :)

Now having had the Bryston for a couple of days.. very very pleased with the perfomance and quality..(and having a 20 yr warranty is no bad thing either).

cheers

Matt

Bit of change from the Tag!? :)

What about at volume mate, notice a bit of a difference there?

It can go very very loud... not been above -20 really.. thats more than enough for the movies..and the detail I can now hear... just great!

Love the remote with the auto tilt/light feature. The digital overridde feature works so it does not drop back to analog when changing layers.. and I have noticed that I have a black lcd with yellow letters rather than a standard lcd I saw in the home cinema mag review last year. Also the display auto turns off after a few seconds.

Build quality is superb, solid and chunky.. (though the tag still feels heavier!) and it is so easy to use and setup.
I'l be interested to see what the upgrades will bring when they are released in the future :)

Cheers

Matt

In light of this thread, thought I'd just ask what the general consensus would be regarding the AVP -vs- an Arcam AVR300 ? Specifically in terms of stereo + sub performance. Would it be an upgrade or, given the relative age of the AVP and the inevitable forward march of tech, more of a sideways step ?

Cheers, Carl.

As you might expect, I believe it is a major step forward. When I bought it I compared to the AV8/P7, and found the Proceed noticeably more musical, combining the timing and pace of the Naim AV2, with the 3D sounstage and sense of air of high end hi-fi preamps. In fact, I took it to a well known hi-fi shop in london when I had it on dem, and compared it face-to face with the Arcams and with Naim/Meridian kit. The salesman (although he had nothing to gain by the statement as he was trying to sell me the other kit) said that in comparison, the Proceed was a true taste of high end hi-fi, and just so much more musical than the others.

Yesterday I heard crteaman's impressive high end system consisting of a Proceed AVP hooked up to £20k+ worth of BAT amplification and full range Dunlavy speakers. I may be a bit biased of course but I honestly don't think a more modern processor could have improved the sound much further. I use my AVP for stereo (with and without subs depending on the music) and it sounds excellent, superior to my previous Arcam CD23 + A22 system. I've never heard an AVR300 though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom