Proceed AVP a good buy?

T

tommy

I went browsing in one of the local hifi-stores the other day, and they had a used/demo Proceed AVP processor for sale. Asking price was around £735 (SEK 10.000).

Would that be considered a good buy?

I could surely get it a little bit cheaper since I would be needing a 5-channel amp as well. But is the processor still good by todays standards? I know it's missing a 5-channel analog input, but for me it's 90/10 for movies vs music so that is something I could live with.

Kind regards,
Tommy

That's a bargain! UK dealers are still asking £1500 or more for the Proceed AVP.

Yeah definitely a good deal. I would expect to pay from around £750 to £1000 being realistic.

An absolute bargain!! Cost £5000 new, and outperforms pretty much anything for music, whilst presenting films in an uncannily naturalistic way, very atmospheric. As Godfather stated, circa £1500 in UK at present

I wouldn't say they are cica £1500 at the monent, I could probably get you one tomorrow for about £900, some dealers have them at £1500, but those same dealers have my 568.2 at £3k and I would not expect any more than £1800 for mine and that is with the meridian link.
It is however a fair price and represents stunning value.

So, as I am interested in upgarding my AVP, any thoughts on a reasonable sale price?

I think £1000 or so would be a fair asking price for a mint unit with box, manual, etc. Does it have the internal demodulator fitted? It was a £300 option and would be of interest to owners of AC3 capable laserdisc players. Also has it been updated with the final software release which fixed all the known glitches?

It is a mint unit, albeit without box currently. I'm not sure about the software version, but I bought it as an ex-dem unit from a reputable hi-fi dealer, and have had no issues with the glitches that some have referred to in the US sites. To be honest, I was looking for £1250, which seems excellent value for a pre/pro which, for me, redefined my expectations of successfully combining music and movies in one box. As you are no doubt aware from your own experience, the quality of the analogue bypass is such that the audio quality rivals many high end dedicated hi-fi preamps

The only glitch which bugged me was a long delay in locking onto DTS soundtracks at the beginning of a film or after a chapter jump, layer change, etc. Updating the unit with the latest firmware fixed that.

On the About screen, you'll see this if you have the latest firmware:

AVP ID: 06210211
DSP ID: 0374:6

I think being realistic you would get £1000 tops for it Peter, I know it is up there with processors costing £5k, but it is older and you know how fickle people are if it deosn't do PLIIxVweR whatever!

And also we know who else is going to be selling his for a grand very soon too!? :)

Haha, no, I have got rid of the Meridian and had all sorts in my system and eneded up back with the Meridian again, my next processor will be an 861v4 or its replacement.

gizlaroc said:
Haha, no, I have got rid of the Meridian and had all sorts in my system and eneded up back with the Meridian again, my next processor will be an 861v4 or its replacement.

:D I'll probably end up doing the same if i am not careful as i am pondering at changeing the meridian but to WHAT i do not know ?? i would have to have some long demos to compare :rolleyes:

recruit said:
:D I'll probably end up doing the same if i am not careful as i am pondering at changeing the meridian but to WHAT i do not know ?? i would have to have some long demos to compare :rolleyes:

Don't be silly now - sit down and have a good, long think. :D

I cannot think of what you would go to next from the meridian.. defo would have been on my list if I had an extra 1k lying around..

Matt

recruit said:
For once Scott3 i think you may be right.. :laugh:

Cheers

John

:hiya:

What do you mean "For once"!? :devil:

Matt Horne said:
I cannot think of what you would go to next from the meridian.. defo would have been on my list if I had an extra 1k lying around..

Matt

Matt - I know mate, but i have seen that you are picking up a Bryston processor and at a very good price indeed - bargain :thumbsup:

recruit said:

I'll have to bring the AVP2 round to your place so you'll know what the competition has to offer. :devil:

I'll let you know if I think its a bargain once its up and running... most expensive blind buy ever for me !

Godfather said:
I'll have to bring the AVP2 round to your place so you'll know what the competition has to offer. :devil:

That would be a good call Henry, then i could mark that one of my list... :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom