Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Probs with reg1 disks

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kota, Oct 1, 2003.

1. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ...

Got a question for all you guys who, like me, import reg1 dvd's from the States ..

For the past two months, I've been re-watching most of my dvd collection due to the purchase of a new PJ ....

To my surprise, some of my NTSC dvd's (2/3 years old) that I haven't watched for ages and look absolutely brand new and in mint condition, completely freeze after the layer change and one or two are simply not recgonized by the players

I've tried both my two dvd players and also my dvd-rom and the same thing happens ....

Any ideas of what's going on ??

Cheers,

Pedro

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    I can see no good reason why the problem would be confined to R1 titles as, although the format of the video signal differs, the 'mechanics' (if that's the right term) of R1 (or NTSC) discs does not differ in any way to that of R2 (or PAL) discs.

The only explanation I can imagine, is that the discs in question were made in a given plant in the US (I recall Technicolor being cited as a culprit but my memory may be failing me) where their product was susceptible to an ageing process (deterioration of the glue that sticks the layers together) rendering the discs unplayable.

3. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying Nigel ....

Anyway, I am aware that this problem should not be confined to reg1 dvd's ... the fact of the matter is I never had one single problem in this respect with none of the reg2 dvd's I own neither with the ones I rent, thus not mentioning this in my post.

You must be right when you say that the discs in question were poorly made in some plant in the States .... but am I the only one who's got these faulty dvd's ??

Just so you know the titles I'm having trouble with are:

Devil's Advocate, LA Confidential, The Jackal, Six Days Seven Nights, The Matrix to name just a few ....

Cheers,

Pedro

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Strange problem and worrying indeed, I have some of those titles (as R1, too). Perhaps DVD rot does indeed exist? :eek:

Have you tried them on different players, i.e. those of a friend?

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does indeed. I've had two faulty, out of 200+ (touch wood no more)

If the same discs work on every single player (need more than two to confirm) then definietly DVD rot/layer seperation.

6. kota

kota
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said before, these problem disks fail to work on both my two dvd players and also on my dvd-rom drive .... and yes, I've also tried them in different players and the same thing happened.

I was just wondering if I was alone on this but aparently I'm not.

Funny thing is I have no problems whatsoever with my reg2 disks so Nigel must be right in his assumption.